Work/Gaming Laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by TrashPanda087, Jun 11, 2018.

1. TrashPanda087

TrashPanda087 Newbie

Reputations:
    1) What is your budget?

$2K or less (hopefully)

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    17.3" +
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    I'm open to any reliable brands.
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    For work - Email, MS Office apps, typical office programs.

The main purpose of this laptop is for gaming while traveling for work, but I will be only carrying this laptop. All of my work files are stored on a 1TB usb drive I carry and backed up a separate PC.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    This laptop would be plugged in 99% of the time on a desk. Keep in mind I will be gaming with this while on the road, hotel internet, but will hard line in at the desk where available. Once home, it will stay in my backpack. I game at home on a 6700K/gtx1070 setup. I would like similar performance from the laptop.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    Arma 3 approx 80% of the time, specifically Exile. Other games - State of Decay 2, Fallout 4, Squad, The Forest, The Division, Ghost Recon, GTA V etc.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    n/a, will be plugged in 99% of the time.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    I would like to see them if possible, but it's not a deal breaker to buy online with good return policy.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows 10 seems to be the norm now.

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)

Maximum Resolutions: WSXGA+, WUXGA, FHD, 1080p, Also prefer 120hz - 144hz.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
    Open to either.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Not of concern.

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    Within the next month or two.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    3-5 years

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    Prefer m.2 or ssd for O/S + HDD storage drive setups

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    No.

I would like to add, I prefer the laptop to be fully serviceable including battery, but am willing to compromise if all other specifications are in line.

2. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
  3. Grant B Gibson

Grant B Gibson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah that seems about right

Ultra Male likes this.
  4. TrashPanda087

TrashPanda087 Newbie

Reputations:
    I like the ASUS, and built a PC with some ASUS components which worked out well as its still going strong. Some say they don't have a great reputation with notebooks. Although the reviews on the linked notebook are mostly positive. Thoughts?

There are a lot of notebooks with great specs, but my fear is you get them into a CPU intensive game like Arma 3 and they will start throttling big time or just BSOD. I don't care about the loudness of the laptop. What brands typically have the best thermals?

Also, Who wins on customer service?

Thoughts on MSI GE73 or GP73 series? They also seem to fit what I'm looking for at a decent price point.

5. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    I would definitely recommend an MSI laptop over ASUS if you want something that is guaranteed to work well but it's a bit difficult with a budget lower than 2K. Can you up the budget to 2500 USD at least?

Grant B Gibson likes this.
  6. africanleopard

africanleopard Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  7. RefinedPower

RefinedPower Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I know nothing about them, but the HP Omen 17t X seems to fit the requirements. Configured how you suggested it seems to run well under $2k. Not sure if BB might have some in store, but chances seem better of find one in a B&M store than more boutique brands.

https://store.hp.com/us/en/Configur...Id=&catEntryId=3074457345618552825&quantity=1

Here is the teardown
    https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/HP+Omen+X+17t++Teardown/104672

I just noticed you can spec it with a GTX 1080 for under $2k if thats of interest.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  8. Grant B Gibson

Grant B Gibson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I believe it throttles worse than the AW R5

9. TrashPanda087

TrashPanda087 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks everyone...a lot of options to consider. MSI is looking like it is going to be the one. Getting ready to travel internationally, so I will pull the trigger when I return. Thanks for the help.

Grant B Gibson likes this.