1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

won an award, put it in resume?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by daniel_g, Dec 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daniel_g

daniel_g Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Recently I won an 'Outstanding Senior Design Project Award' on my uni, and everyone keeps telling me to put it in my resume. Question is where.

Basically, the only experience I have is this design project, so my resume looks like:

Code:
    [b]Experience[/b]
    Senior Design Project: Name of Project
    *my tasks were this and that
    *etc
    *etc

Do I create a separate place for awards, kind of like this:
    Code:
    [b]Experience[/b]
    My experience

[b]Awards[/b]
    My awards

Or do I place it under experience, where my project is?

Thanks

2. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You could/should apply it under ACHIEVEMENTS that you have done in you career.

3. Convoluted

Convoluted Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    First off congrats! Secondly, I agree with Red_Dragon, pop it under a new heading titled "Awards" or "Achievements". Awards are a huge deal and look stellar on a resume, so make sure you show it off. You can add a brief description as well, but keep it to a minimum. Did you receive any scholarships? If so, also remember to include these as well.

4. daniel_g

daniel_g Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks guys, one more question:
    When I make that new header, should I put it above or below 'experience'?

Heh, the award also looks great on my wall :D

Didn't get any scolarships, most are for citizens and I'm still a resident, but did get encouraged to apply for graduate school. My plan is to join air force(starting off as an enlist), become citizen within a year, and get them to either help me with grad school, or become an officer.

5. flipfire

flipfire Moderately Boss Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Yeah create a Achievments and awards section. Put in any relevant achievements especially one that involves leadership skills.

6. Budding

Budding Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Work experience is usually more important than any awards you have won, unless it is a very prestigious award. You could also make a mention of having won something in your experience section, and then go into more detail in your achievements section.

7. AmazingGracePlayer

AmazingGracePlayer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Put it under experience. Unless you have many awards, don't make a separate section for them.

8. BrandonSi

BrandonSi Notebook Savant

Reputations:
    I'm assuming since we're having this discussion, there's not much on your resume in the way of actual work experience, so I would certainly add it to the resume. Where you add it isn't a huge deal as long as it fits in appropriately. A hiring manager is not going to pass you over because you put it under "Achievements" vs "Experience".

9. ladip63

ladip63 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Congrats Daniel
    I would put it under awards/achievements. Unless it is part of your major then put it under work experience.

Lynn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.