WMA vs. MP3 Which one has better SOUND QUALITY?

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Jarrod, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarrod

Jarrod Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've always been ripping music using 192kbps WMA, but it is as good as the 320kbps MP3? I'm just curious as to which format has better sound quality, since I'm getting a new mp3 player soon. (it's 4GB and supports both)

2. Raven322

Raven322 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    i think wma sounds better than mp3 at the same kbps. aac sounds the best though

3. Gintoki

Gintoki Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes, it makes a huge difference. You can hear things you couldn't before and most of that background noise is out of it. Now what's better is Lossless and since you have a 4gb it's perfect for you. Also remember no talk of piracy here.

4. Airman

Airman Band of Gypsys NBR Reviewer

Reputations:

Too late...:rolleyes:

People nowadays, they hear Music and thats the first thing that comes to their minds. wow

I guess the RIAA is doing their job right.

5. Gintoki

Gintoki Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well maybe he...or...hrm. =\ I guess it is to late.

6. Jarrod

Reputations:
    Piracy huh?
    I though mp3 players doesn't support WMA Lossless...

7. David

David NBR Random Reviewer NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Here's cut and paste from wikipedia (note that WMA is made by microsoft):

"Microsoft claims that audio encoded with WMA sounds better than MP3 at the same bit rate; Microsoft also claims that audio encoded with WMA at lower bit rates sound better than MP3 at higher bit rates. Double blind listening tests with other lossy audio codecs have shown varying results, from failure to support Microsoft's claims about its superior quality to supremacy over other codecs. One independent test conducted in May 2004 at 128 kbit/s showed that WMA was roughly equivalent to LAME MP3; inferior to AAC and Vorbis; and superior to ATRAC3 (software version). Another test performed by ExtremeTech showed different results, however, placing WMA at the top of the list in terms of quality."

8. Jarrod

Reputations:
    Wait, I just realized that I can use AAC as well. So does AAC beat both mp3 and WMA?

9. sasanac

sasanac Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I would go with AAC out of those options IMO. Whether or not it beats WMA or mp3 I've no idea lol, but, I think it sounds better!

But out of any music format I would use FLAC if it were an option or Ogg tho very few music players will play those two formats.

10. Fade To Black

Fade To Black The Bad Ass

Reputations:
    AAC beats MP3 and WMA. There is also OGG, but people ignore that as it is not supported by hardware players.