Wishlist for a new notebook

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by grunnsat, Apr 4, 2018.

1. grunnsat

grunnsat Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I figured it out. It isn't that low power CPUs are not suitable for 4k displays, or that there wouldn't be a demand for that combination, no, its very simple. The manufacturers only want to sell 4k displays in combination with high-end graphics and high-end CPUs, because that way they will make more profit.

2. aIex

aIex Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    No, that way they'll make a profit. Producing laptops that almost no-one would buy would cause losses, not "smaller profit".

3. grunnsat

Reputations:
    Then what is the use of a 4k display? Just gaming?

4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    4k displays consume more power so in a low power system this can reduce the battery time by hours.

5. grunnsat

Reputations:
    Fine, but that's not the issue. What is the purpose of a 4k display, and what do we need to be able to use it for that purpose?

6. aIex

aIex Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    More powerful machines are mostly used when connected to power supply and in applications that use GPU acceleration (Adobe Premiere, Photoshop, CAD etc.). 4K for web browsing, programming seems to be an overshoot.

About Dell XPS 13 FHD vs QHD.
    http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-3288058/dell-xps-fhd-touch-qhd-touch.html#19089342

Also, some companies put 4K in 5-6" smartphones. Why? I believe that when someone buys top-tier product wants it to be top tier in every angle (except for battery life, lol), no matter the price.

7. grunnsat

Reputations:
    Perhaps the the full versions of Adobe Photoshop and Premiere can use GPU acceleration, but the Elements version certainly not. Intel has GPU acceleration as well, and the quality of videos produced with that acceleration seems to be quite a lot better as with other kinds of GPU acceleration.

However, that all is besides the point. If I want to use whatever photo editing software there is, my primary tool would be the display. That is where I can see what I'm doing. That is why I want a 4k display with 100% Adobe RGB. Any modern CPU will be more than fast enough for that work, GPU acceleration is not used by most photo editing software, or it has very limited use. I never claimed 4k is useful for web browsing, I want it for photo editing!

Even if a 4k display uses more power, a low power cpu can compensate that, as does the lack of a discrete graphics card. And that's only of any importance if you're running on batteries, but most notebooks are used with their power supplies.

Seems to be useful with virtual reality things that work with a smartphone.

8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Higher fidelity, some people prefer the look.

9. grunnsat

Reputations:
    Indeed, that is why I want it for photography. But for that you don't need a super fast CPU and a ditto GPU. And even for 4k video you don't need them.

10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    No indeed, the IGP does just fine for 2d/video 4k.