Wishlist for a new notebook

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by grunnsat, Apr 4, 2018.

1. grunnsat

grunnsat Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No, base frequency 1.8 GHz 'old' CPU, 2.7 GHz new CPU.

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Can you confirm exactly which models you are using for that comparison?

3. grunnsat

Reputations:
  4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yes that sounds about right. Multicore performance will be stronger at the lower clock but any single threaded apps will tend to drop a tiny bit.

5. grunnsat

Reputations:
    Maybe, on the other hand L2 cache is bigger and memory access is faster. May compensate. And turbo speed is higher as well!

6. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    There is a new model
    N770WL
    It has an ULV cpu +mx150

7. grunnsat

Reputations:
    Thanks for pointing this out for me.
    However, it's made for Kaby Lake CPUs, and it has a separate graphics card. I would like to have a notebook for the Coffee Lake ULV CPUs (different socket!!), and no graphics card.

I can remember the time that PC's could be equipped with a separate numerical coprocessor. Those days are gone, unless you need real high performance numerical processing, then you can install something like the Nvidia Quadro.

I think that the discrete graphical card will disappear for all those customers who are not into gaming etc. , just as the numerical coprocessor disappeared.

8. grunnsat

Reputations:
    Well, Clevo will have new notebooks for the Coffee Lake mobile CPUs. That's the good news. The bad news is that it is not possible to replace a 1920 x 1080 display by a 4k display, different cabling.

What I want doesn't seem to be a niche product at all. My supplier has asked Clevo on several occasions to produce such notebooks, the demand is there. However, Clevo is stubbornly refusing to put 4k displays in anything but the very top of the line notebooks with desktop CPUs. A missed opportunity.

9. XMG

XMG Company Representative

Reputations:
    I'm not attacking what you have said, but it's not completely accurate:

If BTO has asked Clevo to produce laptops with 4K then that's one reseller asking one question. For an ODM to make certain options available, they need to see demand globally, or at least from a significate number of direct customers who would purchase that specification from them. Clevo would offer the panel option if enough of their customer's requested it - that's my point.

You're correct in that mostly Clevo laptop s are available with 4K at the high end, but there are many BGA chassis with 4K options and have been in the past, also the current N130 is available with 4K and that's 13" - not exactly what you are after though I know ;-)

10. grunnsat

Reputations:
    I get your point, however....

Clevo has an enormous number of notebooks in its portfolio. They used to give quite detailed information about their technical specifications, and even then it sometimes was impossible to find a difference between two types. These days it is even worse. If Intel thinks there is a business case to produce a group of CPUs that is meant to give consumers mid range 4k GPU performance without the need to use discrete graphics, then I wonder why Clevo would not build notebooks with these CPUs in the most sought after display sizes? By the way, these CPUs are quite expensive as well, the i7-8559U costs $431, the fastest desktop CPU i7-8700K 'just' $359 !!

No, not quite. 13 inch is very small, why 4k there and not at midrange 17 inch?