Wireless router buyers guide 2014

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by downloads, Jul 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrSloop

DrSloop Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just a quick point and I don't know if it's already been discussed but when buying a router one of the first things to look for is what kind of connection it is capable of. I would start by making sure the router supports a 3x3 wireless connection.

2. hizzaah

hizzaah Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Is there another update coming soon? My router has been slowly dying (needing constant power cycles and is currently halving my speeds). I'm looking in the $75 range.. Don't have any AC devices or adapters currently, want at least 1x USB for storage, and good range and it'll need to be in a middle bedroom. Suggestions? There's a Linksys EA6200 on [H] for $65 that doesn't seems like a bad deal, Refurb (Last Gen) Airport Extreme's are $100 (one for $60 on CL), or Belkin DB750 for $50 on craigslist..

3. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    An update is coming indeed but I'm hoping to stick to second gen AC routers only in higher price ranges which is not yet possible (not enough second gen routers).

That said- EA6200 for $65 is a no-brainer - it's in fact a AC router although Linksys would rather you didn't know about it (see here). Take it- it's far better than the other two.

hizzaah likes this.
  4. hizzaah

hizzaah Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I was just reading that article. Got it for $50 :cool: fingers crossed it'll be here before the weekend!

Thanks, +rep

5. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    So... I just did the same, got it for 59$ though haha

+rep!

6. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Wee...

Reputations:
    Would you guys recommend Asus RT-N12HP ? I plan to use it as repeater on 2nd floor.
    My current setup TP-link W8951N as main router on 1st floor. I can't get wifi on 3rd floor.

7. downloads

Reputations:
    It should be fine hardware-wise. An alternative firmware is available (for non HP version but the difference seems to be only in amp and bigger antennas - which shouldn't require firmware changes as far as I know).

Other than the fact that these antennas look ridiculous, it's fine ;)

8. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Wee...

Reputations:
    Alternative firmware, you mean like dd-wrt ?

9. downloads

Reputations:
    Yes DD-WRT supports this router. I don't recommend moving to a third party firmware "because it's better" mainly because it actually isn't better. It's different - usually offering more advanced features but less performance.

That said I would never buy a router that is not supported by at least one alternative - if you run into trouble with something (and repeaters/extenders can be troublesome to set up if both don't come from the same manufacturer) you can always move to an alternative firmware and set it up properly.

10. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Wee...

Reputations:
    Okay thanks. Ordered one already :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.