1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Wireless issues with Intel/Pro Wireless 2200BG

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by yoin, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yoin

yoin Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

I'm having a problem with my wireless connectivity with a new Sony VGN S270P (UC). I have called the Sony Service Center ann all their efforts did noting to change the problem. My machine has Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG wireless card and at my office I have Linksys WRT54G. I also called Linksys but after traveling to a different location, also with similar configuration Linksys WRT54G I had the same issue.

The issue is that the communication speeds goes up and down from 1Mbps to 5MBps with no obvious reasons.

Here is my setup: Windows XP Professional, Intel M processor 2.0 GHz, 1GB, 40GB HD , Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG + Bluetooth, and my wireless router is a Linksys WRT54G (54Mbps).

I found out that another member (isu07) of this site has identical problem so I will quote him shamelessly:
    My “wireless speed randomly drops from 54Mbps to speeds as low as 1Mbps inconsistently. It will always return to normal but it happens so often that is is really frustrating because it makes my internet applications stop working.”
    “Drivers are updated. As a matter of fact” “Is anyone else having this problem? I am using the Wireless Network Connection Status window that you get when you double click the wireless tray icon to watch my speed.”

” I've tweaked the settings a bit and have been testing the connectivity with the new settings. I made "Power Management" and "Transmit Power" both maximum in the adapter's settings, but I still had the problem.”

Isu07 claims that this happens to him only when the AC is connected. I have not tried it but even if I did it is still the same problem.

”Any ideas what is causing this? If it is the "power saving feature" then shouldn't other people experience the same thing?”

I would like to see if anyone else can reproduce this problem or if it is just me.

yoin

2. labradogs1

labradogs1 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Does it happen when your cordless phone rings?

------------------------
    My Canada Does Not Include Celine Dion

3. quick123

quick123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There are a lot of dicussion about this Intel Pro 2200bg wireless card at the Dell Forum. I have a similar problem. 2200bg card or driver has flaws.

4. lapboy

lapboy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    IntelPRO/Wireless2200b/g is part of the Centrino marketing gimmick.
    Intel does not make wlan chips.It relies on subcontractors.
    Whereas most routers have Broadcom wlan chipset.
    It would be best to go for Broadcom wlan card when ordering your laptop.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Those who forget History, are condemned to repeat it"
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.7GHZ :: 512ram :: 8x dvd-rw :: 60GB hdd :: 12 cell battery :: 54g Broadcom+bluetooth :: BOOQ Vyper-M sleeve

My favourite sleeve http://www.booqbags.com/Detail.bok?no=96

My favourite laptop Samsung X50 http://notebook.samsung.de/article.asp?artid=38FC0A21-706D-4D64-AC9C-782649043AD3

5. quick123

Reputations:
    lapboy,

Any suggestion on the actions for me take? Order another wireless card from HP or send my computer back to them??? My problem is slow internet connection with my HP zt3000 (intel pro 2200bg card).

6. Kiwibru

Kiwibru Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Go to the INtel wireless site. Download, install and run their Wireless Pro ID program. That will tell you the version of driver you are running. I will bet it is 8.10 or so. NOw go back to the Intel site and download the newest driver and install it. That may make a big difference. Many others are having issues such as this and worse. For example the 2200B/G drivers cause a Blue Screen with an error giving the N22_5-1sys.exe driver error, total freeze up, necessary re-boot. It happens with Eudora email when sending a reply and other programs too.
    A refresh of the driver fixes it!

7. eddedrukker

eddedrukker Newbie

Reputations:
    I Have the same problem, als intel pro 2200bg and the linksys wrt54g with the latest firmware. Speed drops from 54 to 48,24,11,5.5,1 enso on. I have the latest intel driver 9.0.1.9 installed. Any idees?

8. quick123

Reputations:
    The issue could be 2200BG card's compatibility with Router.

I have zt3000 with the same card. I have solved the problem after changing router.

9. Riga

Riga Newbie

Reputations:
    I had problems with my 2200BG and my WRT54G. MY speed was always good but I would lose the network and be unable to reconnect. Downloaded Intel drivers and XP SP2. Seems alright now but it is still my first day. I am still a wireless newbie but 1 to 5mbs seems low to begin with.

10. lapboy

lapboy Notebook Deity

Reputations:

My Netgear WGT-624 gives me full 54 mbps consistently.

I have got Broadcom 54G card + bluetooth card in my laptop

The signal strength is excellent throught the house + dozen
    other neighbhoring networks also appear at good strength.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Those who forget History, are condemned to repeat it"
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.7GHZ :: 512ram :: 8x dvd-rw :: 60GB hdd :: 12 cell battery :: 54g Broadcom+bluetooth :: BOOQ Vyper-M sleeve

My favourite sleeve http://www.booqbags.com/Detail.bok?no=96

My favourite laptop Samsung X50 http://notebook.samsung.de/article.asp?artid=38FC0A21-706D-4D64-AC9C-782649043AD3

11. pr5owner

pr5owner Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    first of all there is no compatibility issues with the 2200BG and the WRT54G i have those 2 and my lappy works flawlessly

sony may have connected the Main and Aux antenna wires incorrectly, the wire wire goes to MAIN and the Black wire goes to AUX, there is a diffrence, i built my asus with the wire switch around and i had a really crappy connection. i switched them and it was blazing fast.

2nd if you have bluetooth turn it off for troubleshooting, bluetooth can kill the connection quality between your lappy and AP, bluetooth 1.2 has solved the interference problem. im pretty sure sony hasn't upgraded their notebooks to bluetooth 1.2 or 2.0.

3rd set the preamble to long on your router, this generally improves connection quality.

-->Asus M6BNe | Pentium M 1.6GHz Dothan | 1024MB PC2700 Micron Ram | Radeon 9700 Pro 64MB | 80GB Samsung 5400 RPM 8MB Cache | Gigabit LAN | CDRW + DVD Combo |
    -->Compal CL56 | Pentium M 1.6GHz Dothan | 1024MB Ram | Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB | 60GB HDD | 10/100 LAN | DVDRW |

12. Merlyn_3D

Merlyn_3D Newbie

Reputations:
    Try out the version 8.1 drivers from the intel site. They seem to be more stable so far for me.

13. DeltaRage

DeltaRage Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the same problem, but with a Compaq Presario v2000. The connection doesn't drop, but it does not recieve or send information. It is the most annoying problem I've ever had. Setting "Power Management" to maximum does not work. I've rolled back the drivers and that does not work either. It is not router specific, it is a problem with the drivers or card. I'm still looking for a solution, so any suggestions would help.

14. n/a

n/a Guest

Reputations:
    looking for good reviews?

http://www.coolgalore.net

15. pr5owner

pr5owner Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by melyssa
    [br]looking for good reviews?

http://www.coolgalore.net
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

yes thanks... please spam us a couple more times because i dont think we got that link through our heads yet! lol

-->Asus M6BNe | Pentium M 1.6GHz Dothan | 1024MB PC2700 Micron Ram | Radeon 9700 Pro 64MB | 80GB Samsung 5400 RPM 8MB Cache | Gigabit LAN | CDRW + DVD Combo |
    -->Compal CL56 | Pentium M 1.6GHz Dothan | 1024MB Ram | Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB | 60GB HDD | 10/100 LAN | DVDRW |

16. Conscript

Conscript Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I guess you can add me to the list of people who have problems with 2200BG and Linksys Wireless G router! For me what happens is AIM and Yahoo will periodically disconnect me and reconnect me automatically every now and then (random and seperate intervals for both services), also Listen.com's Rhapsody will sometimes get stuck as well.

I am downloading the latest drivers now to see if that maybe fixes the issue.

This is the 2nd laptop with this wireless card that is having identical problems.

17. Anteater2

Anteater2 Newbie

Reputations:
    Were having the same exact problem with our Motion M1400 Tablet PC which has the Intel 2200BG mini-PCI card. It is unable to maintain a stable wireless connection to our Cisco Aironet WAP in the office, nor is it stable on my Linksys wireless router at home. Have tried all of the aforementioned "fixes" with no improvement.

We also have an older Motion M1300 in the office (which has a Broadcom wireless card) and it has had no problems with intermittent connection drops.

I, too, am becoming more & more certain that this is an issue with the 2200BG and/or its drivers.

18. Rab

Rab Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the same peoblem with my Acer 3201xci

I find that running netstumbler in the background seems to make things better.

Cheers,
    Rab.

Away and lie in yer pish

19. wkwissin

wkwissin Newbie

Reputations:
    I had the same problems: Same Intel Wireless 2200BG card with a connection going from 55 to 48, 5, 2 and even 1 mbps. I tried a suggestion I read earlier here: going back to drivers 8.1.0.28

I removed the latest drivers and installed the ones from:
    http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/detail_desc.asp?strState=LIVE&ProductID=1637&DwnldID=7819

This definately was an improvement. I did it last night and am still testing. I now have almost permanently 54mbps. Sometimes it goes to 48 for about 10 seconds and than it is back to 55 again.

So that's great! (Very weird ofcourse that an older driver actually works better).

However, I do have some occasionaly disconnects (when connected to MSN for instance). So that is not right at all, but I still find it a huge improvement!

I am pretty convinced it is all about the software though, not the hardware.

20. bstayton

bstayton Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What antivirus program are you running? I know it sounds crazy, but I just posted a new topic about my old "Panda" software. It was totalling screwing up my connection.