[Wireless G vs. Wireless N] Will I notice a Difference?

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by Skeat15, Dec 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skeat15

Skeat15 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just order the HP HDX16t with the Wireless N card. Currently I only have a Wireless G router at my home. Should I upgrade? Is the speed noticeable?

I will be gaming, downloading lots, web browsing.

Also is Wireless N is draft? What is draft anyways? Should I wait till its actually released?

Thanks

2. boypogi

boypogi Man Beast

Reputations:
    if you have a very fast internet connection :D

3. mr.bobharris

mr.bobharris Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The difference isn't in the browsing, its in the network speed. Wireless n allows for much faster file transfers over a network than wireless g, worth it if you work on 2 or more ,achines.

4. Shyster1

Shyster1 Lazy as the Day is Long

Reputations:
    You won't notice the difference unless you're transferring very large files around between computers that are on your own private subnet - with respect to the internet, the limiting factor will be your ISP's speed, not your internal router's speed.

5. Skeat15

Reputations:
    When I look to see when Wireless N will be available it says 2010..
    whats that mean? The full version or what? What is draft n?

Should I purchase a N router now? I have comcast, fast speeds.

6. Erokitsune

Erokitsune Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    even with comcast the fastest service they provide is 16mb down and thats the cap, i have it as well and dont even see past 10mb.

wireless g i believe caps at 54mb/s and runs on a 2.4ghz frequency vs a n that does 108 that runs at a 5ghz frequency.

wireless n is good if you plan to stream media around the house, if you're just browsing the net and playing games a G is sufficient enough and you'll never use it to the full extent.

7. flipfire

flipfire Moderately Boss Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Draft N is an incomplete version of the Wireless N technology which hasn't complied with the standards as of yet...

8. Deathwinger

Deathwinger Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Wireless N is greater than Wireless G by all standards. Every darn Wireless G router I had always gave at least one system a problem to connect wirelessly, especially when that system was taken out of the house and connected to a different network then brought back home. Not with wireless N, everything just connects and works. No more headaches.

9. Skeat15

Reputations:
    So buy a new router? Any ones you recommend? Under $100

10. wlan_man

wlan_man Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    11n usually uses MIMO or basically more than one antenna to receive and send at once.
    This can give much better range than single antenna 54g.
    Some cards come with 3 antenna's, most older draftn come with 2.

11n routers and WLAN cards will also have the latest security features. WPA2 etc
    If you have a NAS device attached to your LAN you can access it much faster then a 54g connection.
    Intenet will make no difference if you have 54g or 11n the limit as already said is you connection speed.
    ADSL2+ maxes at 24Mbps and that is if you live in the exchange.

Go 11n, 54g is so yesterday.

2.4Ghz (G) = better range but often very populated in build up areas.
    Only 3 non overlapped channels so lots of chance of interference from other 11n routers and phones, some remotes and video senders.

5Ghz (A) = less range (shorter wave lenght) but hardly anyone uses this so not many devices to interfere with connection.
    12 non over lapped channels, more room to change channels if one or more are busy.

I have a Buffalo dual band 11n router that can simultaneously transmit/receive in 11na and 11ng, the ultimate solution.
    I'm currently using a Gigabyte GN-WS30N Ralink based WLAN card, it's only 11ng but it's awesome Client Utility in Vista makes up for lack of 11na.