Wireless Display Without Miracast on Win 7?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Gake, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Gake

Gake Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There seem to be a lot of softwares out there that can make your PC into a miracast "receiver," but I'm wondering if there is one that lets your "non-miracast" PC connect to a miracast receiver?

Example:
    I have a Roku stick and I am able to mirror my Android phone easily. I also have a newer laptop (HP Envy 15) which has Win 10 and supports miracast which I could mirror on there.

However, I have an older laptop (HP Pavilion dv6t) with Win 7 that I like to mirror. It has an i7 gen 3, Intel HD, but a Ralink wifi. So the wifi makes it not compatible even with Intel Widi that works with Win 7.

So instead of replacing the wifi chip with an Intel wifi that is miracast compatible, is there another driver or software I could use to get this laptop to mirror with my Roku?

And just for knowledge base, why is this so restrictive? Like it requires an Intel CPU, GPU, and wifi? I mean, all it is, is just sending the hdmi signals via the network, why does brand matter?

Thanks!

2. Gake

Gake Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This issue is resolved. It just happened my old Dell laptop had an Intel wifi that is compatible with Intel Widi and I swapped it to my dv6t. So with Win 7, you can use the Intel Widi program, which is essentially the older Miracast.

However, either way, none of them work with Roku. To get it working, buy a Anycast dongle and then you can use miracast from both Win 7 and Win 10. However, Anycast version 9 also includes Chromecast, which then you can use your Chrome browser to mirror your system, even if they're non-miracast.