Wireless card overheating?

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by MogRules, Oct 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Has anyone ever had a wireless card overheat?

Suddenly the left side of my laptop is getting stupidly hot...like boil an egg hot. It seems to be focused around or on the wirelss card but I have never heard of a wireless card overheating. It also seems suspicious that I just had issues with the GPU dying. The GPU is replaced and the laptop did seem to be working fine again but now I am starting to worry that there is something wrong with the MB.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? I was using the Broadcom 4352 card that came with the laptop but I am swapped it out for my Intel 6250 now in hopes that the problem goes away.

If I press my skin against the HDMI port that is also getting very hot....

2. mariussx

mariussx Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have seen this before, but the wireless would either be not detected at all or disconnected at random intervals. Wifi card was getting hot to the touch. Replacing the wifi card would instantly solve this issue in my case.

MogRules likes this.
  3. Solo wing

Solo wing Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Maybe PCH temp is affecting the wireless card? During hot days, with the AC off Wifi disconnects more often, I have to disable/restart the adapter to get it working again.

MogRules likes this.
  4. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:

I replaced the card with my spare and it did not solve the issue :mad:

Ambient temps shouldn't be an issue. Were currently sitting at about 7 celsius outside and I keep my house cooler then most so that should be a problem....I am going to open the case back up and check connections and what not...maybe I missed something, or did something wrong when I had it apart to reinstall the 120hz screen for the GPU upgrade....

5. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Might have found the issue.....

I have had this thing apart so many times lately with the failed 780m and pulling that out, and pulling the screen out to get 60hz back to use the iGPU and then putting it all back again when the new card got here that it looks like the wireless cables were making direct contact with the CPU heatsink :eek:....oops....so I have re-routed those back into their trays and hopefully that will solve the issue. We will find out as soon as I repaste and put it back together :confused:.

hmscott likes this.
  6. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nope.. that didn't solve it...so I pulled the palmrest/keyboard off and looked around and everything looks fine. I re seated the ram and mSATA and put it back together minus all the palm rest screws for easy access again should I need it. Fired it up , ran a CPU stress test and everything is back to normal...no more overheating WiFi or HDMI port :confused: so I am completly lost as to what is causing it. The mSATA isn't THAT close to the HDMI I wouldn't think if it was causing a problem. I will throw the screws back in later and do some final checks, gotta head out for a bit.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    hmscott likes this.
  7. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I am starting to lean towards a southbridge problem.....but I honestly have no way to know for sure. I re-installed Windows and it does seem to be better...so fingers crossed.

8. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's not the wireless card...I have ruled that out...I am at a complete loss at this point.

9. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Did you double check your PCH thermal pad/heatsink?

MogRules likes this.
  10. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I presume that would be the small heatsink off to the side of the CPU? If so there is not much to check, I can't remove it without prying it up and everything appears to be in place. I don't see anything else in here to check. Everything litteraly looks fine :(

In a last ditch attempt to solve this I am pulling the mSATA drive and will test again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.