Wiper blades super short life span

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by ViciousXUSMC, Nov 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Master Viking NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I never could figure this one out and it sucks.

Wiper blades on my truck last no longer than a month or two before they no longer function and just streak/smear water/dirt/condensation on my windshield usually making it harder to see than if I didnt use them at all.

I know the main reason is because I have to park my car in the open with no canopy to protect against the sun but here is the thing that bothers me.

My wife parks right next to me and suffers the same conditions, we can buy the same type/brand wiper blades at the same time and hers still last and function properly for months on end.

I have a S10 Pickup, she has a Dodge Caravan maybe it has something to do with very minor details like the angle of her windshield or the amount of pressure the springs are putting on the wiper blades?

Im always stuck in the morning when my windshield is fogged up I have to wipe it down by hand and wait for defrost to kick in or it will fog back up as I drive. In the light rain I cant use them because it smears horribly and makes it hard to see, only in heavy rain is it viable to use my blades.

So anybody want to key in on hints/suggestions/stories?

2. Teraforce

Teraforce Flying through life

Reputations:
    I don't know how you use your wipers, but when it rains, try either a) running them slower than what you normally use, and/or b) shutting them off more often.

I know that may sound silly, but the thing is, I know some people will turn them to the highest speed possible when it is barely sprinkling, and/or they'll forget to shut them off when it stops raining. That's a guaranteed way of wearing your blades out prematurely.

Also, you know how some wiper blades come with little alcohol swabs? Use those from time to time on the blades to clean them.

Or you can purchase higher-end/more expensive blades. They really do last longer. I know b/c my mom purchased the most expensive blades once at Pep boys for her Toyota Avalon, and they've lasted almost a year (compared to only a few months with cheaper blades).

3. Trottel

Trottel Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Try some rain-x on the windshield to help. But either way, wiper blades lasting no longer than a month sounds pretty suspicious. There must be something else wrong. Have you tried different brands and types? I haven't replaced my wipers in a year and a half and they still seem fine. Not new, but definitely not in need of replacement. The car never goes in the garage except to work on it.

4. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    I had the same Michelin wipers on my old 330i for a year and a half. They still worked when I took them off... I just figured it's time to change them. Thing is when it would start to rain, immediately using the wipers would streak/smear... but given the blades about 10minutes of rain, it's almost like they were dry before and the rain soaked into the rubber and made them work better. If that makes any sense. When I took them off they were hard as a rock, meaning the rubber was dried out, and hardened... which is no good for windshield wipers. I've been told they last that long because I go through the automatic car wash once every 2-3 weeks and I always pick the hot wax option. ?

5. ViciousXUSMC

Reputations:
    More Info:

1.) I almost NEVER use my wipers it almost never rains so I cant really use them less

2.) I always use them slow not fast when I do use them

3.) I occasionally use Rain-X when I remember to do it and im not so lazy as to not go do it. I have never used Rain-X on the wifes car and its doing better than mine.

4.) When the blades are not working well they feel fine to the touch like new still, so I wonder if its just a bad fit to my windshield for some reason. Its not like they are all cracked and dried up (though I have had a pair like that before)

5.) They do fine in heavy rain because there is enough wetness there to avoid the streaking.

6. millermagic

millermagic Rockin the pinktop

Reputations:
    Are the spring that hold the wipers tight to the windshield bad?

7. ViciousXUSMC

Reputations:
    I dunno it feels nice and strong when I pull them back but I guess that doesnt mean they are working right.

8. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    For what it's worth, I think it's the rain-x stuff you're talking about. I've never used any of it. Just the hot wax stuff, and after going through the car wash the water beads up on the windshield and rolls off SUPER easy. Sometimes to the point to where I don't even have to use wipers, the water just rolls off.

9. Snakecharmed

Snakecharmed Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I haven't turned on my wipers in months even though I've driven through a few downpours in that time. I use wax on my windows and it works better and lasts longer than Rain-X.

I once read a suggestion to wax the wiper blades themselves to keep the rubber in better shape. I don't bother with that, but it's important to make the surface that the blades glide over as slick as possible. If the glass feels rough with surface contaminants, you should strip the glass with a clay bar before waxing it. If the glass is in good shape, then something could be wrong with the tension on the wiper arm.

10. ViciousXUSMC

Reputations:
    Just got a pair of $32 blades for $3.00 on sale :D some teflon ones. I'll see how well they hold out.

I should buy like 5 pairs lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.