Winter tires in Chicago?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by HopelesslyFaithful, Mar 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melody

Melody How's It Made Addict

Reputations:
    As someone from Canada, I can say that I notice a difference between my all-seasons and my winter tires. Reason I have both those sets is because I used to only run all-seasons then they passed a law making winter tires mandatory so we got the set. Personally, I do feel it so maybe one set is really good and the other is really bad/too used, but I can tell a difference in driving. Nothing beats proper/safe driving of course, but personally, winter tires aren't a huge expense and better safe than not IMO, even if it's a 1% difference.

2. HopelesslyFaithful

HopelesslyFaithful Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    mandatory...well that is dumb especially considering some snow tires are worse than all season ones...not very effective and potentionally making things worse than better depending the situation.

3. Melody

Reputations:
    Well IIRC, the decision was more political than anything from what I read, but at the end of the day, law or not, bad choices will be bad choices regardless of legislation (or lack thereof).

4. HopelesslyFaithful

Reputations:
    more like that legislation was a bad choice *facepalm* It is like subsidizing wind mills in states that have no wind :D Except this one can kill someone because it gives a false impression.

5. Melody

Reputations:
    It's not like someone with a good set of tires would buy a bad one because of any law; a person who values good tires will buy good tires regardless because they value that. My point was that people who buy crappy tires would probably do so regardless of whether they had to own a "specific" set or not. For the record, since 2008 (the year that law came into effect), winter accident rate has been more or less steady in the same area (about 5% decrease so no major change).

Really the key is proper snow/ice infrastructure. The reason cities that aren't used to snow close down because of a bit is because they have no infrastructure in place to deal with it. Of course, safe driving is also key. I've seen people pull off Smarts and Fiat 500s in the winter with safe driving lol :p

6. HopelesslyFaithful

Reputations:
    you know the majority of people are dumb and just ask the sales guy in a store....you think sales reps are knowledgeable and/or honest? According to CR if you go to a firestone dealer to get winter tires you get a tire that is worse than an all season tire in every category or about that -_- How would the average person who is too lazy to do a shred of research going to know the firestone tire is the worst tire to possibly buy? That is why i made the point that such a requirement is stupid. Don't have to be a lazy person who doesn't want to buy good tires to buy a crappy one. i'll stop there before i get carried away with how stupid it is for government to micro manage the world into stupidity.

7. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If/when you get stuck, you'll put those behind front wheels and drive backwards and get unstuck. In a pinch you can use floor mats from your car to do the same. Those are hard plastic and the wedge shape combined with car's weight on top keeps them firmly on the ground, while on a snow they work like snow shoes for that couple feet you are reversing out of the trouble.

We did help our company van up an icy hill with my friend with four of those. One guy drove the van slowly, while I and another one moved those antiskid mats under the wheels.

Pic of my car, zoom on the front wheel: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9311368/DSC00031_2.JPG
    They are mostly used here in the nordics. Winter tyres with metal studs that add considerable traction on packed snow and icy roads. Negative side is increased driving noise on plain asphalt and a bit worse breaking/traction on plain asphalt (but they are supposed to be used when plain asphalt is not available).

My next set will be studless again, since like you see in the picture basically that's the amount of snow we have had for the whole winter here.

As with any other video, they basically show what the video maker wants you to see. That's the most difficult part so nothing that you see there cannot be taken as absolute truth. Best stuff would be 3rd party tests but most of them do not do you any good unless you speak finnish or swedish ;)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m414yQPQqeg
    1st set of wheels are nokia studded, 2nd set is nokian (I always forget the n) studless nordic winter tyre and 3rd set is "winner of german winter tyre test" - basically european studless winter tyre.
    In that video they accelerate to 80km/h and then stop as fast as possible.
    More about those differences you can find there: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ziikes1/videos?view=0&shelf_id=1&sort=dd - I gotta run to work now :D

edit: in that video (I suggest just mute it) they explain that typical euro studless/friction tyres are rated to 210km/h speeds while nordics are rated to 170km/h max.They have different construction both inside and the actual grip surface. Euro (I'm generalising here) are meant for heavy rain with occasional snow and mild (-10C) temps, while nordics are meant for snow/ice and much colder.

I've had those european studless once (I bought a set of rims for 40 euros and got the tyres along for free) - most horrible experience ever :D Just imagine accelerating on freeway ramp, then ease off the gas pedal on 5th gear @100km/h and all wheels lose traction due engine braking...

add one more thing: when I said try them I meant it. Look for someone who has good winter tyres and ask for a quick test drive. Apart from installing winter tyres on your own car that's the next best thing to figure out if they work for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.