Wine 1.0 Released

Discussion in 'Linux Compatibility and Software' started by Thomas, Jun 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wearetheborg

wearetheborg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Is ther any reason why so many games run well but MS Office is not even on the silver list ?

2. zephyrus17

zephyrus17 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Why do you want to run MS Office when there's the great OpenOffice?

Thanks, Icewalker, I'll try them out.

3. f4ding

f4ding Laptop Owner

Reputations:
    Frankly? MS Office is at least a step better than OO as of now. Hopefully OO will continue to get better, but lets face it, some people need MS Office.

While we're at it, have anybody look at the latest version of Corel WordPerfect? It's way better than Word.

And back to the topic, it's about time. Wine has been around since what, 1995?

4. Baserk

Baserk Notebook user

Reputations:
    Oops.
    My bad, IE7 isn't IE6 of course. Stupid. :eek:
    The Tatanka link is the best thing sofar apparantly.

5. Icewalker

Icewalker Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    OOo covers my needs 100%, but I can understand why some people need MS Office. Anyway, last time I checked (long ago, so ting should be even better now), CrossOver ran MS Office XP like a breeze. Give it a try:

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/

6. Gintoki

Gintoki Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    About time? You try building the Windows API from the ground up without looking at Windows API code and see how far you get. I get aggravated when people take Wine as if it's just some trivial project and take it for granted. A lot of developers are working their ass off to get 1.0 out to you and all you do is complain that program X isn't working or it's about damn time. If you think they're taking too long why don't you go work with them and develop code so they can get it out faster?[/rant]

7. Thomas

Thomas McLovin

Reputations:
    ABOUT TIME?!?!?!?!?!!?!? Read Below:D

8. Jackle

Jackle Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm glad to see Wine 1.0 out. But, MS office not being supported fully is still my main disappointment. Yes Oo is good, but I still need to use office for a few things.

9. theZoid

theZoid Notebook Savant

Reputations:
    I need IE to manage parts of my hosting website, so I run it in VirtualBox.....just an option that works great

10. lemur

lemur Emperor of Lemurs

Reputations:
    "About time" and "program X does not work" are valid criticism. It is equally valid to reply that the Wine developers don't have to cater to anybody's specific needs. But I'm sick and tired of people who get all excited about Wine. The only substantial software I've been able to run in Wine without too much aggravation is Firefox. (There was still some aggravation but not too much.) Everything else was a major pain in the ass to setup and was extremely unstable. Getting 50% of Word to work properly in Wine is as good as nothing as far as I'm concerned.

And yes, I've been to their database of applications, and yes, I've followed the instructions and no, it still did not work. It's been frequently the case that applications labeled "gold" did not start up at all. Or that they were "gold" in an older version of Wine but that the latest version of Wine broke the emulation and can't run the app anymore.

That's not acceptable. I use my laptop to do real work with real deadlines and real consequences if the deadlines are not met. I don't have time to deal with Wine's moodiness.

The end result is that for 90% of my Windows-in-Linux needs, I end up using kvm. There's a memory cost, disk cost and license cost to doing that (because you need an actual Windows license and you need to install Windows) but it is very reliable.

When I saw the announcement about Wine 1.0 my first thought was: "so what?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.