Windshield Wipers?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by HTWingNut, Oct 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melody

Melody How's It Made Addict

Reputations:
    To be honest, it's a car by car scenario in the sense that the "best" fit/gliding will depend on things such as the curvature of your windshield (and therefore the spring/shape of the wipers) as well as the length needed. Bosch Icons/Evolution work well for my current car, but on my older one I used the Michelin wipers from Costco. I honestly wish I still could since those were 8$/piece (as opposed to like 20$/each for the Bosch) but they just don't perform as well on the A4.

Anyways I'd try googling your vehicle see if there's any forums or similar recommendations from people who own it (that's how I found out the Bosch are ideal for my car).

As someone who lives in similar climates as you (aka snow), I don't think there's THAT big a different in terms of wiper performance as long as they're not frozen (aka the compound is still soft); you'll be removing the snow on the windshield via a snow brush most of the time anyways (at least that's the proper way to do it otherwise you risk damaging or seizing the wiper motor.

2. Teraforce

Teraforce Flying through life

Reputations:
    I had a pair of Rain-X Latitude wiper blades that lasted ~2 years, which is impressive since A) My car is parked outside, so I use the windshield washer a lot, and B) The last 2 winters have been VERY brutal here in Indy. Those blades weren't cheap (~$44 for two 22" blades), but I'll definitely buy them again once the cheap pair of Goodyear blades from Costco. My only complaint about the Rain-X blades (besides their cost) was the fact that they would always miss the passenger-side lower corner of the windshield--my Goodyear blades are better in that respect, but they're not perfect (the windshield curves pretty sharply there anyway)

I'm sorry, but I can't stand wipers that retract down under the hood. My 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix does this, and it's very annoying. The design makes it impossible to leave the wipers propped up off the windshield during the winter (the hood is always in the way). As a result, the blades tend to freeze to the windshield. In addition, they leave a streak on the windshield at the bottom of their travel before they retract when you're using the windshield washer.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  3. Datamonger

Datamonger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have a set of Bosch Icon wipers on my Pontiac and Bosch Excel+ wipers on my Silverado. Both made it through the past winter without any issues and we had a fair bit of ice here in VA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.