Windows7/8 - Updates to hide to prevent Windows 10 Upgrade / Disable Telemetry

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Ultra Male, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    I'm not a moderator so I cannot delete anything. This thread is for discussion so no harm done.

Anyway, that is a Windows Defender update and has no effect on telemetry or Windows 10 upgrade ;)

2. Riley Martin

Riley Martin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Question. (Sorry, to hijack this thread! I'm being Really cautious as I think I'm almost done)

**On Page #1, I see no mention of .NET Framework 4.6.1 (KB3102433). Are all .NET Framework updates safe? I didn't see NET Framework 4.6.1 on the Screen-Saver screenshots page #1 (which were done a while back)... so is 4.6.1 safe? I searched this thread for any mention. Hopefully some of my questions will help another newbie.

Thanks!

[PS (for Newbies) -So I've been doing Updates/Hide, all while running the GWX Control Panel. Just a heads-up to any newbies (like me), don't click "Clear Windows Update Cache" on the GWX unless you're damn sure you've hidden, or not installed everything & anything undesirable. Post #779 helped me out a lot, as I was blindly using the GWX -and had installed items like Telemetry and other crap I didn't want. So I had to do a system restore and start from scratch b/c I had clicked the GWX "Clear Windows Update Cache".]

hmscott likes this.
  3. Danny.RU$$

Danny.RU$$ Newbie

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  4. Riley Martin

Reputations:
    I like your moxie! However, I think this update was already flagged. Thank you for mentioning however!

5. Riley Martin

Reputations:
    I think I've finally finished. Two questions. One I posted earlier. Again, sorry if the first one I've noted below is a very basic question.

1 - Are all Microsoft .NET Framework updates Ok to install? I haven't installed 4.6.1 yet -but I will if it's Ok. Maybe .NET Framework updates are always Ok? I don't like the time it was issued, so I'm being cautious.

2 - Do you guys still have the Windows Anytime Update Icon visible on your Windows Update Page? See Image below. I've circled the Icon in Red. I've done (I think) every step page #1, and also have the GWX installed and in Monitor Mode. I'm pretty sure I'm clean of Windows 10 Herpes, but that Windows Anytime Update Icon (on Control Panel > Windows Updates) is a little disconcerting.

Thanks so much to all contributors in this post. It's the best I've found! Peace!

[​IMG]

6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I don't have that showing in Windows 8.1 after using GWX Control Panel to clean up.

I didn't manually edit the registry entries though, I let GWX Control Panel handle all of that.

If your GWX Control Panel shows you are clear, it might be because it is checking the settings - and they were already made by you - so it assumes things are all good.

If your GWX Control Panel dialog doesn't show the same as mine for status, try doing the operations again via GWX Control Panel, reboot and see if that clears it for you.

As noted, don't use the Clear Windows Update Cache option.

GWX Control Panel Clean Status Windows 8.1.JPG
    No Windows Upgrade option showing.JPG

Riley Martin likes this.
  7. Riley Martin

Reputations:
    Thanks for replying hmscott.

My GWX is reading like yours. I'll revisit page #1 and double-check all my installed updates. Maybe I'll run the Script from @Ethrem.

*Could it be because I have not installed the .NET Framework 4.6.1 (KB3102433)? <Is the 4.6.1 .NET Framework OK to download & install?
    I'm being cautious b/c of its release on 02/09/2016, and secondly, Page #1 compiled by Phoenix only went as far as 4.5.2 (which I realize may be due to the screenshots preceding this NET Framework update).

Again, thank you all for the help & good feedback!

8. hmscott

Reputations:
    @Phoenix I checked the @Ethrem script and it is missing some of the new KB's to uninstall/block - like KB3139929 - the new "free" Advertising "security" update.

The date on the script download is 3/9, and there are a few new KB's to block/uninstall added since then.

Can you please separate out the new KB's not yet in Ethrem's script in the KB list to uninstall in Post #1, with a note that these must be done manually in addition to running Ethrem's script?

@Riley Martin - you could try setting the registry values back - remove the ones you added - reboot, and then run GWX Control Panel, then it will apply it's full set of changes that might also include showing the OS Upgrade option on the Windows Update dialog - it's possible GWX Control Panel only samples changes to determine status/state and misses checking for that specific setting.

As far as which KB's to install, I have taken a more conservative approach, one which I wouldn't have recommended before the recent rash of MS tomfoolery with KB's, I don't install any new KB's unless I am sure I need them.

Right now I have 88 hidden updates. That's an amazing number of updates considering I have only been hiding all KB's for a few weeks now.

Windows 8.1 has been stable for a long time for me, so I am not convinced I need any KB's except to humor MS's silliness - so I just stopped installing them.

I can't recommend this for everyone, and as a rule you should check each KB for need and decide what to install - but after doing that for a while I haven't seen a single KB I need to install, so have been hiding all the new ones for review later, and later hasn't arrived yet :)

So I can't recommend whether or not to install those .NET updates, as I haven't installed them either. And, everything is working fine for me.

Riley Martin likes this.
  9. Falco152

Falco152 Notebook Demon

Reputations:
    Installing .net stuff is pretty much optional. Only necessary when a program needs it to run.

If it is missing and is a required component, Windows will automatically throw a request prompt to download and install. (Unless someone disabled this feature.)
    Then again ... most programs that need .net have already included them in their own installer.

Danny.RU$$ likes this.
  10. hmscott

Reputations:
    And we are talking about .NET updates, so the base install is already installed and the game / app is functioning.

.NET updates are another subject, it's possible to mess up an app by installing a .NET KB update - you need to roll back if the app starts acting up.

So that is another reason to not do a KB update, or roll it back should it cause app problems.

Riley Martin and Falco152 like this.