Windows7/8 - Updates to hide to prevent Windows 10 Upgrade / Disable Telemetry

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Spartan, Aug 23, 2015.

1. ajkula66

ajkula66 Courage and Consequence

Reputations:
    I never thought that I'd view staying away from WU as such a necessary but boring chore...

2. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I am working on a one click script to end all our worries and hide these updates, currently troubleshooting a small error in the script but once I'm done, clean install windows 7, run the script, then feel free to install all updates that you see as none of the bad ones will be offered to j00 :D

1337 FTW

ajkula66, Kent T and Mr. Fox like this.
  3. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I am not too sure about the new KB3083324 or its 8.1 equivalent. Windows update itself is not a telemetry or W10 issue. It could easily just be adding/modding server address. Since the scope of the documentation does not go beyond the Windows update itself it is probably safe.

Looking further at this though I would be careful of a big push come the normal update Tuesday.

4. Spartan

Reputations:
    From my experience so far, every single update to the Windows update itself as they call it has been a hidden Windows 10 upgrade preparation..... just my 2 cents worth.

Seraiel and hmscott like this.
  5. Spartan

Reputations:
    Tool kits to disable delivery of IE 10/11 through Windows updates added to the OP.

6. Spartan

Reputations:
    KB3050265 added to the OP (Claims to fix an issue with a long scan time and high CPU usage during Windows Updates scans but also includes Windows 10 Upgrade preparation)

Mr. Fox likes this.
  7. TANWare

Reputations:
    Actually per the link;
    Edit; You have to remember that they are not about to come out and apologize or even make a statement. What we will see is, that is if, an update(s) making policy changes. TBH this is a good thing that they are backing slightly off the heavy handed forced upgrades.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    Spartan likes this.
  8. Spartan

Reputations:
    Ohh I don't know how I missed that!

thank you so much, will remove it from the list as it contains an easy way to stop the upgrades :)

Thank you to everyone who is collaborating in making this thread the perfect guide against the new MS virus :D

9. TANWare

Reputations:
    Actually I would love to say the new OS rather than the Virus but until we can root them from the local stuff I can't.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  10. Spartan

Reputations:
    For all those who have read my posts and who probably think I am an Ant-Windows 10 person. I am exactly the opposite. When I first heard about Windows 10, I was so excited, having support for newer hardware but with a Start Menu, UEFI boot for super fast startup without the traditional BIOS POST when having Windows 7 installed, built in SSD Trim through the Windows 10 disk defragmenter. Automatic updates, yes I like automatic updates actually, one less headache to worry about but NOT these freakin' driver updates.....

Unfortunately, this dream came to an end way too sooner that I expected with the forced driver updates and no.1 I do not feel safe using windows 10 at all, I feel like I am running with a virus installed. Maybe the OS is not a virus in technical terms but to me something transmitting my usage habits, what programs I have installed and sending it somewhere is just like what a virus does. I hope that one day this would all be fixed so I can use Windows 10 and feel safe but with the way things are going, my hopes are very low.

ajkula66 likes this.