Windows7/8 - Updates to hide to prevent Windows 10 Upgrade / Disable Telemetry

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Spartan, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Morph000

Morph000 Newbie

Reputations:
    I check the M$ site for info for each update, but as we all know, vagueness is the order of the day for M$.
    If M$ don't wake up FAST as to what their customers WANT, they will go the way of the Dodo.

I predict the next major meltdown to be before Xmas 2015, so this may well all become moot anyway..

hmscott and toughasnails like this.
  2. brainout

brainout Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Looks like your prediction already turned true, read what Ed Bott just posted, here.

My face is still puffy from crying. Poor guy spent all that time explaining Threshold, only to be reversed. Read his article, you can tell he's upset.

Gotta stop typing now, tears restarting.

hmscott, Papusan and toughasnails like this.
  3. Nefter

Nefter Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  4. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    I just did a fresh install of W7 and I can tell you that as long as you only install important updates and hide recommended/optional ones, you have nothing to worry about. Most of the updates in the OP fall into the latter category, plus the list is quite outdated as many of them have been superseded. The only important update I've not installed is KB3086255 (disables SafeDisc games) because I play a lot of old games. I've hidden all recommended/optional updates except for installing KB2670838 (W7 Platform Update) and KB2852386 (adds Windows Update Cleanup option to W7 Disk Cleanup).

Another thing I've found to be helpful specifically IRT to clean installing W7 is to manually install KB3102810 first before checking for updates for the first time, otherwise it will hang on checking for updates for hours while using a lot of CPU and leaking memory. It also adds a Group Policy item (in the Pro, Ultimate, and Enterprise editions) to disable updating to W10. Note that this update is superseded every month, so the KB# will be different in the future, but KB3102810 is the most recent iteration as of November 2015.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
    stringbuzzzzzz likes this.
  5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Nice catch, the article (as it exists right now) uses KB3078667 as an example for a "good description" of purpose - the article as about KB's lacking descriptions.

But, doesn't it seem weird to use a Windows 7 KB description as the only example of a good purpose description for KB's, in a Windows 10 article??

Windows 10 users beg Microsoft for more info on updates
    http://www.computerworld.com/articl...s-beg-microsoft-for-more-info-on-updates.html

I did look around and found some patch day release discussions, such as this one that says it's ok as well as what isn't ok :)

"ptd163, on 19 Aug 2015 - 10:32 AM, said:[​IMG]
    "KB3075249, KB3077715, KB3078667, KB3080149 were served by Windows 7 WU as optional updates yesterday. What's the verdict on them?"

KB3075249 and KB3080149 are telemetry updates, hence no-no. Tho other two are OK."

How to avoid being "upgraded to Win 10" against your will:
    http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/173...g-upgraded-to-win-10-against-your-will/page-7

It looks like this one can be removed from the list @Matrix Leader :

KB3078667 (Claims to fix memory leaks in dwm.exe but also is a Windows 10 upgrade preparation according to this article)

6. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Here are all my Win updates for Win 7 Ult. Is there any that I should have in addition to these? Only if there are patches for performance gains.
    SISTE WIN UPDATES 1 - 27.NOV.JPG SISTE WIN UPDATES 27.NOV.JPG

8. stringbuzzzzzz

stringbuzzzzzz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah.. thanks, Morph000.
    It does help. And it sounds like you're handling the screening with this thread's best advisers, as well. I love those "Phat" usb3 thumb drives. I bought a 256MB ver. about a month ago
    I'll be looking into Macrium Reflect.
    I was in a bit of a hurry when I posted my first reply to your initial post, so it's been re-edited some.., If you care to review it.

And good luck, once more.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  9. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Besides Destroy Windows Spying for Windows 7/8/10 ( http://dws.wzor.net/ ), there are other tools, mostly for Windows 10 but some also work on Windows 7/8.

Here is a list I found published in August and updated mid-September.

Windows 10 Privacy Tools
    http://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/14/comparison-of-windows-10-privacy-tools/

Links and image of list from article... *'d the ones I use on Windows 8.1

Windows 10 Privacy Tools

The following programs are reviewed and compared against each other:
    1. Destroy Windows 10 Spying * Main site link: http://dws.wzor.net/
    2. Disable Win Tracking
    3. DoNotSpy 10
    4. Windows 10 Privacy and ****
    5. Windows 10 Privacy Fixer
    6. W10 Privacy
    7. (new) Shut Up 10
    8. (new) Spybot Anti-Beacon for Windows 10 *
    9. (new) Ashampoo AntiSpy for Windows 10
    10. (new) Windows Privacy Tweaker *
    Windows Privacy Tools.JPG
    If you run across any other privacy tools, please post the url / info here. :)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
    toughasnails and Spartan like this.
  10. Ramzay

Ramzay Notebook Connoisseur

Reputations:
    Bleh, I should've checked the updated KB list. I now have the annoying Windows 10 update icon, each time I log in it pops up the Windows 10 download in the update center, and I can't uninstall the KBs causing it.

F U Microsoft.