Windows7/8 - Updates to hide to prevent Windows 10 Upgrade / Disable Telemetry

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Spartan, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I can't wait until they get slapped with an antitrust lawsuit......

2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    *ALL* of my hidden updates are gone, and all 43 are now live and showing in Windows Update as if I had never hidden them.

allmy hidden updates are gone and once again sshowing as updates.JPG

allmy hidden updates are gone and once again sshowing as updates 43 updates.JPG

I have selected them all and hidden them again.

I had hidden the new ones from this week on Tuesday, and had a bunch more already hidden over the last month, since I did a fresh restore.

brainout, toughasnails and Spartan like this.
  3. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Man this is way too much! Micro$h4ft is way more persistent than I thought.

hmscott and toughasnails like this.
  4. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Yes IE does telemetry, use it and you are tracked within the programs usage. I don't have an issue with that as it about the same as walking out the door. Expectation of privacy on the net is limited at best.

Edit, yes the one update does mess up with outside applications, I do not think it is a windows 10 update or telemetry issue though.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  5. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    No doubt somewhere in a back room there is lawyers cooking one up now.

Ethrem and Spartan like this.
  6. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    This is a tough nut to crack. The problem is with antitrust you need to show a monopoly. Here they are creating a multi-platform OS U/I based on marketing of platforms already in existence. The fact that M$ has included the PC in the device list is much less relevant than it was the first go around with antitrust.

Now the enhanced telemetry on private local files is a huge fish for the lawyers to go after. I am quite sure this is why M$ has not released the enterprise version yet as they are hedging their bets as to what to cover. In the same vein as to who can use it, maybe offering it to small business and home users. Right now they just keep pulling the whistles chain and yelling ALL ABOARD.

Ethrem and Spartan like this.
  7. brainout

brainout Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'M SO MAD I CANNOT SEE STRAIGHT. I've not gone for new updates, but dang! All the ones I hid no longer show up either!

Worse, this son-of-Belial program which I have SHUT OFF (no updates no checking, turned off) is claiming there was an update of the Definition of Security Essentials, TODAY, two+ days ago! But I've not checked for updates since the 6th.

That's it, removing it from services. Thank you, hmscott, for the heads-up.

Of course, today the world is reeling from 3097877, and of course today is when dastardly TH2 comes out to the tune of another 4 GB for systems which -- drum roll please -- don't know that their HIDDEN updates are unticked, so if they are on automatic, guess what?

They're baaaaaccckkkk...

toughasnails, hmscott and Spartan like this.
  8. brainout

brainout Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No, there are better fish to fry. Anti-trust is long term case and nearly impossible to make stick, now.

Better, is to attack via aka.ms/msa which is the EULA which governs Win10 and all the online stuff from Bing/Cortana to mail, OneDrive, Office 365, Skype, etc. Read its paragraph 3. Then think like a greedy lawyer.

Okay, so I'll have my client accuse someone rich and famous who has Windows 10 of something that violates Paragraph 3a, which per Paragraph 3b requires MSFT to slurp all the private offline data on that device. But all that data includes many third parties whose confidential data is also on that device.

Then, I'll just let it drop that all those third parties can SUE the device owner. Now who shall I tell this to? MSFT, and get paid by them, or the device owner? Hmmmm, choices, choices.. and this time I think I'll get racer stripes on another new Mazerati...

Baigle likes this.
  9. Baigle

Baigle Newbie

Reputations:
    Can't forget good security and patching.

LightEater

10. Hidef1080

Hidef1080 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Maybe in Europe but not here. I don't think anything short of people just turning away from Microsoft will force them to change.

stringbuzzzzzz likes this.