Windows7/8 - Updates to hide to prevent Windows 10 Upgrade / Disable Telemetry

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Spartan, Aug 23, 2015.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    For now, I hid the Windows 10 update...
    windows 10 updae showing.JPG
    hid windows 10 update.JPG

It's a new Windows 10 update, issued Wednesday 8/26/2015. Like when a new driver is released for a hidden driver - you need hide it too. So for each new iteration of the Windows 10 update, we have to notice it and hide it.

I saw it today for the first time because on Tuesday's I check for new Windows Updates manually, and I hadn't checked since the previous Tuesday, 8/25/2016 :)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  2. Cass-Olé

Cass-Olé Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I hate to lead you down a rabbit-hole, I only have a sec to butt in with this W7 tid-bit which is worth a read: How to manage W10 notification & upgrade options / kb3080351
    Related kb3050265 Windows Update Client for Windows 7: June 2015 claims to fix 'stuff' but note: 'General improvements are made to support upgrades to a later version of Windoze'. *Matrix will explain below how he uses this update to his advantage based on what else is bundled with it*
    {edit: @matrix the kb's aren't on a list of upd8's to uninstall, the linked knowledge base articles are reading material to possibly hide W10 reminders, whereas 3050265 includes a noted element we'd otherwise want uninstalled: W10 prep-code} My updates-to-remove checklist jives with Matrix' Master List relative to Wse7en; a web search might uncover the final tweak you need to disappear your nagware if the above pointers don't.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    You guys are making this way too hard. Disable Automatic Windows Updates using Group Policy (or by editing the registry if you have the crippled "Home" version of Windows). Windows update cannot run or check or notify you about updates unless you intentionally manually check for updates after you disable it.

Wow! 297 updates... Lord have mercy. That's more than 10 times the number of updates installed on my Windows 8.1

Spartan likes this.
  4. hmscott

Reputations:
    Mr. Fox, that is what I did, do a weekly manual check for Updates. That's why I didn't see it back on 8/26 when the new Windows 10 update came out, because I had disabled automatic updates :)

5. hmscott

Reputations:
    Lots of other Microsoft product updates :)

6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Ah, OK. But, man that's a lot of updates.

If you only change the settings feature in Windows Updates to say to never check for updates, that cotton-picker will turn itself back on when you least expect it to and vomit updates all over itself. It has to be done with Group Policy or a registry tweak to make it permanent. It has done that to me many times, so I said enough of this nonsense and shut it off permanently.

I don't update Windows much at all, or M$ Office. I don't care about vulnerabilities that much. They are not as bad as Windows Update cancer making my systems run like crap, LOL. I had rather take my chances on a hacker gaining control of my PC or other remote possibilities like that than have to deal with their garbage updates.

hmscott likes this.
  7. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I actually installed this update as it adds an option to disable Windows Uppgrade altogether in Group Policy Editor

• This update addresses an issue in which system performance can be decreased during scans. This issue has the greatest effect on computers that have a small amount of physical memory.
    • This update addresses an issue in which Windows Update scans can fail and generate a 0x8007000E error.
    • General improvements are made to support upgrades to a later version of Windows.
    • This update installs a new Group Policy object that enables you to block upgrades to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update.
    Policy path Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Windows Components / Windows Update

Policy setting Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update (enabled or disabled)

hmscott likes this.
  8. Spartan

Reputations:
    I always set the updates to check for updates and notify me, I think that's the 3rd option, never had an update force fed to me :D

toughasnails, Player2 and Mr. Fox like this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Nah, I don't even want to know about 'em... I could not care less about their update crapola. I just want them to hush up and I will check and apply only what I want, whenever I want... if ever. If any of the updates are not important enough to qualify for installation on my corporate/enterprise setup at work, then I won't even look at them. Those that claim to address "issues" with Windows with no explanation of precisely what the issues are, then those are also off limits. If my machine is working properly and doesn't have any "issues" then there are no "issues" that need to be fixed. That's how I look at it anyhow... "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

What can happen is that running Windows Updates often changes your settings to their idea of what the defaults should be, then updates start downloading when you're not aware of it and the next thing you know you are getting system tray pop-ups telling you to reboot so it can finish. You have to reset everything over and over again, so just setting Automatic Updates to "Disabled" in Group Policy eliminates all the hassle of having to check and recheck. You can still run it manually if you feel some sort of obligation to do so, but it never does anything unless you tell it to.

Spartan likes this.
  10. Spartan

Reputations:
    Come to think of it, from a user's point of view, none of those 200 updates did anything to enhance my experience. Only thing they do is they may cripple a system like what KB2670838 did and Micro$h4ft didn't even remove it or fix it......nope, their clowns release garbage and forget it......let the users enjoy.....

Mr. Fox likes this.