Windows7/8 - Updates to hide to prevent Windows 10 Upgrade / Disable Telemetry

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Ultra Male, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    If you uninstall it then go through the list and uninstall all the other per-requisties, you will never see 3035583 ever again.

2. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Are people seeing this with Automatic Updates disabled in Group Policy Editor? Before eradicating Windows 10 from my Clevo, no updates were applied on my system with it disabled there. For those without the Pro edition there should be a registry tweak that does the same as Group Policy. All it is for the most part is a registry-editing GUI.

4. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    I will try it once I get home in the morning. IE10 was the first thing that M$ tried to install when I did the restart.

5. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Here's the thing, I never needed any of those IE Blocking fixes or scripts....

When you first install Windows and run Windows update, that first thing you see in the updates is IE 11, hide it, then install some updates then after the reboot, check for updates again, IE 10 and 9 shows up, hide them, install more updates and restart, then they never show up again.

Oh and a big warning to my friends here, Windows 7 is very sensitive when it comes to updates, do not install .NET Framework updates and Windows updates/Security updates together, that has caused issue for me in the past where either the updates fail to install or after a reboot GPEDIT.MSC wouldn't run or
    Event Log Viewer/Services.msc would be broken./

What I do is install all the .NET Framework updates then reboot > Install all security updates then reboot > Install all Updates for Windows then reboot > Check for more updates > Then install them all in one shot the last few are not so sensitive.

6. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    KB3044374 added to the list, this is affects people who have Windows 8.

Additionally, for people who installed KB3050265, now you can disable all future upgrade to the latest Windows via Group Policy Editor:

hmscott likes this.
  7. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    True, you can just hide them in Windows Update. But after running the blocker toolkit (it doesn't install anything, just makes a change to the Registry), IE never shows up in Windows Update at all when you check for updates. This way you never have to worry about Windows accidentally installing IE if your hidden updates show up again after a system image restore because M$ classifies IE as an "important" update. On a clean install I always block IE 11-9 first before ever running Windows Update.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    Ultra Male likes this.
  8. badiyee

badiyee Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    hi OP, can you reupload the pics? for some reason when i click on the pic it asks me to register / login to some site.

9. Player2

Player2 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey matrix leader.
    I would also like to see the task scheduler pictures. There to small to read and when I click image it just goes to a picture upload site.
    By the way this is great info.
    Maybe I don't know how to view pictures and you could explain how.
    Thanks

10. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    you don't need to do anything to view pictures, they should automatically appear. I'll upload them again to imgur this time. Please check the post again.

Player2 likes this.