Windows7/8 - Updates to hide to prevent Windows 10 Upgrade / Disable Telemetry

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Ultra Male, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Riley Martin

Riley Martin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If anyone does a new Install of win7 using a Simplix update pack (using any UpdatePack post 12/2018), would you kindly post if it worked for you? I'm wondering if a .netFramework 4.5.2 Security Update install -prior to running SimplixUpdate pack, was the cause of a Black Screen w/ Windows Icon, 'boot loop'. I can't wrap my head around it, first time I've ever had a problem using Simplix on a Fresh install. I wish I studied Russian language at Uni. *damn* ;) Thanks!

hmscott likes this.
  2. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I did a full clean install 2 weeks ago with Win7 pro sp1 .iso via Rufus and then patched with Simplix version 15Dec2018 and had no problems.

3. 6730b

6730b Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    KB3150513 was served again here today, as optional.

4. Riley Martin

Reputations:
    *Are any of you all still using a tool like GWX Control Panel for a safety, added precaution?
    Something feels like MS is going to get medieval on our asses in months to come. (not a Skpe user, but perhaps a BS move similar to what MS recently did w/ "old vers" Skpe holdouts?).
    *Also, is there a more recent, KB Uninstall .bat that maybe incorporates some Simplix removals as well as the KBs w/in the bat file here, pg1?
    Thanks!!

Raiderman and hmscott like this.
  5. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I just disable Windows update filth, and not worry about it. No need for them to push their trash on me, when i can cherry pick KB's.

6. Riley Martin

Reputations:
    Internet Explorer 11 ?
    Hey now.
    This post got me thinking about upgrading to ie11 (although I never use Internet Explorer).
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-internet-browser.826301/page-7#post-10856137

Any feedback on advantages/disadvantages for updating to ie11? (I used Phoenix's ie10/11 Blocker from Page #1 and left ie9 -set w/ strict settings, plus I never use it).

Also, is it Ok to turn Internet Explorer 'Off' w/in Windows Features? (I will do that on some machines that don't use any IE dependent software)
    Thanks in advance for any advice/feedback!

Vasudev likes this.
  7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    IE11 is good. Its the bare minimum spec these days.

Riley Martin likes this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
  9. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    From the article:
    Wait ... what? There's a new non-subscription model of Excel available??! Insert-religion-inspired-expression-of-joy!

I'm perfectly happy to pay for an upgrade to existing software, but only if the new features or improved performance warrant the expense. Still on CS6 and quite happy with that, so why should I want to pay a continuous fee for a static piece of software? The only exception I can think of is antivirus stuff; it exists and functions because it is continuously updated. And that bit needs a steady workforce and paid hours. But it's not my problem Adobe and MS have a huge detail working for them that isn't doing much in earning them revenue; think of new products/avenues or send them off to one of the big techs.

Installing 2019 on 7 seems to be a thingy, but not impossible to accomplish. Guess you could always install on 10 and robocopy it to a 7 installation plus its registry tree if they tighten the checks.

I like this comment:
    Yes, that'd be me; Antarctica sounds perfect, tyvm (even though they do have internet access).

Riley Martin, Raiderman, Aroc and 3 others like this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    SaaS is extortion, and it sucks. I buy once and use it until it no longer works well enough to get the job done effectively, something remarkably better surfaces, or it stops working reliably. That applies to lots of stuff, but especially software and motor vehicles. Unless there is a truly compelling reason to buy a new software version, doing so is like flushing money down the toilet. I haven't seen any compelling reasons to buy a new version of anything from the Redmond Retards since Windows 7 SP1. And, claiming "better security" in most cases is a load of baloney... that's how they milk the cash cow.