Windows7/8 - Updates to hide to prevent Windows 10 Upgrade / Disable Telemetry

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Spartan, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Riley Martin

Riley Martin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Weren’t we advised to turn off hyper-threading long ago? Yesterday’s news, but maybe you missed it. Yet another hit to Intel. AMD is trading under $20 today. I’ll take a new Ryzen over 9th Gen Intel any day on my next build. Also, a good time to scoop some AMD shares up if you have some extra $cratch laying around.
    https://thehackernews.com/2018/11/portsmash-intel-vulnerability.html

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    AMD is somewhat affected by HT exploit but not catastrophic like Intel.

Riley Martin likes this.
  3. Riley Martin

Reputations:
    Oh for sure! But factor in CPU price points and comparing AMD/Intel benchmarks (better cost benefit going with AMD).

Vasudev likes this.
  4. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    It is expected to be vulnerable, but has not been tested. Has AMD spoke on the issue yet? Also, this specific exploit would need compiled on the machine until it is learned to be explored otherwise meaning no immediate harm.

And Intel tried to spin this like the security issue with amd this spring. Difference is, the researchers reached out to Intel a month before the release and Intel refused to respond. Having one month headway vs no headway is a huge difference, and if Intel had responded, there is a chance this vulnerability would not have been published already.

Due to differences in SMT and HT, I'm hoping to see more info.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

hmscott and Riley Martin like this.
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The author said they didn't have access to AMD PCs but I don't think it needs any specific compilation for AMD since they'll use generic compiler to make the exe work on multiple platforms. It might output same answers but this need to be confirmed by AMD.

hmscott and Riley Martin like this.
  6. Riley Martin

Reputations:
    Maybe the stock market has, but no official word from AMD. AMD is up about 8% today (but was down yesterday under $20). Intel was up yesterday but down 1% today (at the time of this post).

ajc9988, hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Watch out..

Forced installation of Windows 7 / 8.1 updates KB2952664 / KB2976978 (January 2019)?
    Published on January 14, 2019 by Günter Born
    [​IMG]
    Short note in the round: There are indications that Microsoft is rolling out KB2952664 (Windows 7 SP1) and KB2976978 (Windows 8.1) updates again in January 2019 and may be forced to install them on their systems. Here is some information.

Microsoft writes in the notes to the two compatibility update mutatis mutandis (translated by me):

This update performs diagnostics on Windows systems participating in the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program. The diagnostics assess compatibility on Windows systems and help ensure Microsoft application and device compatibility for all updates to Windows. There is no GWX or upgrade feature included in this update.

In the blog post Windows 7 / 8.1 Updates KB2952664 / KB2976978 (10.04.2018) , I have the advice to hide this update. However, this seems, according to the above, no longer work. The update will probably be installed anyway. Can any of you confirm this observation?

8. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Microsoft is killing Windows 7, so you should switch to Netrunner 19.01 'Blackbird' Linux distro now! betanews.com | Jan 16, 2019

[​IMG]
    Windows 7 is an excellent operating system. It is a no-nonsense computing experience that just works. There are no ugly live tiles or forced updates. Conversely, Windows 10 is largely trash. Don't get me wrong, Microsoft's latest operating system isn't all bad, but it has many poor design choices, and the intrusive telemetry makes it feel like you are being spied on when using your own computer. Worst of all, it has proven to be very buggy -- it has been deleting important user files! That is scary stuff...

Many Windows users passed on both Windows 8.x and Windows 10, opting to stay on Windows 7. You know what? I don't blame them. Unfortunately, starting today, the Windows 7 death clock begins ticking away.

10. Riley Martin

Reputations:
    Greetings. Question about a clean install using Simplix UpdatePack7R2 (January). I was installing win7 on a friend's machine a week or so past. Using January Simplix UpdatePack, everything seemed to go smooth until reboot. Id followed all the instructions for win7SP1 (Pro), installed up to .netFramework 4.5.2, a handfull of security updates, and a select few single KB updates from Windows 7 Update. Using command system32>UpdatePack7R2.exe /ie11 /silent / reboot. Machine would reboot, Win7Live(Simplix) Temp files would clean, then machine would reboot, and after last reboot the machine would be stuck on Black Windows Screen, with Windows Logo.

Now if I used say, an UpdatePack7R2, from December 2017, the machine would install all those previous UpdatePack7R2 KBs, clean, and reboot no problem. Ive looked around online for an answer but came up blank.

What do you think the problem was, or what may I have missed? It was a Factory Win10 Installed machine (but the OEMs website states it was win7 eligible -so hardware lockout isnt the culprit). The most frustrating part was any system restore (when booting from SSD/HDD), was that we'd get locked out bc of the win7 USB 3.0 incompatibility. So I had to always change Boot Order, and boot from USB, where Id mounted the OEMs/Intel USB 3.0 drivers (which was another headache trying to find working restore points, but thats another story).

So yeah, why a Boot-Loop type screen (stalled Win7 logo screen) after using more recent UpdatePacks? I made sure no roll-ups were installed via WinUpdate/Installer. I tried latest UpdatePack7R2 before installing MBAM AV (I also tried UpdatePacks after AV install, both enabled and disabled when using SimplixPack), so I can rule out AV causing the glitch. More than sufficient RAM and disk space were present... I gave it a large Page File (just in case), and made sure the KB noted on Simplix fresh install instructions was installed (sh*t, like KB976932+/-). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

hmscott likes this.