Windows7/8 - Updates to hide to prevent Windows 10 Upgrade / Disable Telemetry

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Ultra Male, Aug 23, 2015.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You don't lose the right to run Windows 8.1 on the same laptop if you try Windows 10 on it. You can't migrate the licence's to a different computer, but that same computer is able to run either the original Windows version or Windows 10.

To make the process easy you can create an image backup of your Windows 8.1 boot drive (all partitions), so you can do a from scratch install of Windows 10 - keep a USB drive with the Windows 10 specific drivers you can find and download, and then use them after the Windows 10 from scratch install.

You could also pull that Windows 8.1 boot drive after doing the image backup so you can preserve it for quick switch back if Windows 10 doesn't go well.

Microsoft has generic drivers that it uses when vendor specific drivers aren't in it's database, so you may be able to get by that way - without Windows 10 specific drivers.

Look up the vendor for each device you are concened about and go to their website, or other 3rd part websites that specialize in finding drivers for Windows 10 - dell / HP / etc drivers for some hardware exist even if the original OEM (original original equipment manufacturer) doesn't make them public.

Good luck. :)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    Riley Martin likes this.
  2. hmscott

Reputations:
    Confused, elated(?), wondering if this is something that will actually catch on and lift up support overall for Windows 7 / 8.1 on new hardware supporting new CPU's, even the 9th generation 9xxx series...?

Intel is launching a special Coffee Lake chipset to deliver Windows 7 legacy support

By Jacob Ridley, Posted 17 hours ago
    https://www.pcgamesn.com/intel-coffee-lake-windows-7-support

"Intel’s Coffee Lake platform is finally gaining Windows 7 support. The CPU platform, which introduced six-core chips into the mainstream back at the end of 2017, previously ran into issues with USB support when in conjunction with Windows 7. However, Intel is launching a single compatible chipset, the H310C, to extend backwards compatibility with Microsoft’s legacy OS.

The H310C chipset, also potentially called the H310 R2.0, will reportedly replace the current H310 entry-level motherboards and offer native support for Windows 7 with all the corresponding drivers required for full functionality. It will be a straight swap out for the H310 chipset, which will be discontinued shortly after the new chipset launches...."

A "closer to the source" Chinese google auto-translate version is here:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-b360-h310-motherboards.815204/#post-10777924

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    steberg, Primes and toughasnails like this.
  3. hmscott

Reputations:
    Riley Martin and Vasudev like this.
  4. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    So does anyone know yet how much $$$$

hmscott likes this.
  5. Riley Martin

Riley Martin Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hello there. Question about KB3177467 (new date is 10/09/2018). I've been using Simplix almost exclusively for years now. I'll still check Win Updates on occassion -say after Patch Tues.

Recently I noticed KB3177467 is re-populating. This KB is listed on the "Ok" list w/in the Simplix Blog, but it won't install when I use the UpdatePack7r2 (it still shows up when I check windows update afterwards).
    https://blog.simplix.info/update7/

So I found this article below, but the language confused me with respect to "roll up" and a new release date (we all loathe MicroScam's roll-ups, right?).
    https://borncity.com/win/2018/09/24/windows-trouble-with-updates-kb3177467-kb4346084/

So what do you think? Is KB3177467 (with its new date of 10/09/2018) one to Hide, or should I manually install it via WindowsUpdt?

I kinda hurried the various reads Id found on this KB, so I apologize if Im seemingly lazy. I figured I could turn to you all's since I'm short on time. :notworthy: Thanks in advance for any help or insight! Peace!

hmscott likes this.
  6. Riley Martin

Reputations:
    I have supported Simplix with $ contributions. Is it conceivable that Simplix Update Packs will continue for the extended period, i.e., if one is using Simplix Update packs (w/ win7 Pro or Enterprise eds.), would that bypass the MS per device fee noted on hmscott's link?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    hmscott likes this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    See also
    It looks as if Microsoft has stopped pushing this month’s Win7 Monthly Rollup, KB 4462923 computerworld.com | 15. Oct, 2018

Vasudev, Riley Martin and hmscott like this.
  8. Riley Martin

Reputations:
    Vasudev, hmscott and Papusan like this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    Nothing to worry about quite yet... at least until Jan 14th 2020...and hopefully well before then we will get details on how it will work and cost - through Jan 2023 for extended support.

It's not clear if these support patches for Windows 7 Enterprise will be supported on Windows 7 desktop or whether that will simply be a free extension for non-commercial users.

Maybe someone will support security updates legally merging with Simplex by then as well.

Riley Martin and Vasudev like this.
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    We'll be needing Harkaz's help. He used to give out SP's for Win 98 earlier but now he's too busy with work.

Riley Martin and hmscott like this.