Windows7/8 - Updates to hide to prevent Windows 10 Upgrade / Disable Telemetry

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Ultra Male, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Cripple a working OS and Micro$h4ft hope people give up and jump on Win 10o_O

Microsoft and KB2952664 and KB2976978, a never-ending story-Ghacks.net
    by Martin Brinkmann on July 23, 2018 in Windows - Last Update: July 23, 2018

Microsoft released new versions of KB2952664 and KB2976978 for Windows 7 and 8.1 on July 11, 2018, something that the company does several times a year. We reviewed previous updates released in February 2017 and October 2016.

MS PowerUser reports that Microsoft changed the level of both patches to critical. The updates were optional or rated as important in the past, and Windows users and administrators could not get rid of these updates permanently.

While it is possible to hide the updates, any re-release by Microsoft would bring them up again in Windows Update and other update management systems.

Microsoft notes that Telemetry is only collected if users participate in the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program; that would mean, on the other hand, that the updates are useless if users did not opt-in to the program.

Born notes that the Telemetry updates did cause issues such as boot issues, error codes during installation, or freezes. He recommends that users hide the updates and don't install them and that is in my opinion the best option as well. MUST HAVE, YEEES![​IMG]

Closing Words
    I don't think that Microsoft will get it right any time soon. Pushing Telemetry updates as critical updates will certainly install them on more user systems, but whether that is a good idea or note is up for debate.

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Until people understand they have control of the OS, and take it by force, things will never be right. Leaving the Redmond Retards in charge of updates is like leaving wolves to guard the chicken coop.

Disable Windows Update Service. If you feel you need all of the so-called "safe" Windows 7 updates (those without Micro$lop Nazi cancer) use Simplix... and, only Simplix.

People can disable Windows Update Service on Windows 10 as well. Folks need to decide if having their UWP filth apps updated is more important than a stable system. Yes, some of them will stop working, but who gives a rat's ass about UWP app crap? People that care about that are part of the problem that is ruining everything for the rest of us.

3. Riley Martin

Riley Martin Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'll give some follow-up on this one. So I didn't get much feedback here, so went ahead and Googled the various 4.5.2 Net Framework updates that have been released (i.e., Net Framework 4.5.2 updates released after page #1 from this thread was created).

*Lesson: if it's not broken, don't fix it. Many users noted certain Net Framework updates DID have Telemetry... who knows. I went with a later Net Framework update that was cited as legit & came from a seemingly knowledgeable forum, savvy users, e.t.

After install, I noticed some of my older programs weren't working as they had. For example, I'll sometimes edit photos with Microsoft Office Picture Manager (2007)... didn't work like it should (now I have to run in compatibility mode). I run Acrobat 9.5 (convert .pdf's to .jpg's)... also didn't work as it had... now running in compatibility mode.

So don't be in any hurry to change from the last Net Framework 4.5.2 Phoenix notes Page #1. I should have known better, and curse myself for falling prey to MacroShaft scare tactics. Rrr. Lesson learned. Hope this may help someone else. Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    Vasudev, Papusan and hmscott like this.
  4. Riley Martin

Riley Martin Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    On the F'ng money. 100% agree. Lol, the irony! (My post above about my recent endeavor into 4.5.2 Net Framework updates hammered this humbling lesson home just a cpl days ago -never again). :)

5. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not sure what pisses me off more, trying to wrestle with Windows 10 to make it useful or the amount of effort these morons put into making just about anything automated in it.
    The fact that I cannot even select which update or drive update I want in Windows 10 infuriates me, its a ****ing horse veneer of an operating system.

6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    How to get a free Win10 upgrade — newly updated by Ed Bott :D
    Posted on July 28th, 2018 at 07:53 woody Comment on the AskWoody Lounge
    I get questions about this several times a week, even now.

Ed’s updated his original article — and it’s still the most comprehensive, definitive guide I know.

The big question now is whether Microsoft will ever turn off the code on its activation servers that dispenses digital licenses after an upgrade from an earlier Windows version. I’ve continued to test that scenario throughout 2018, and I can confirm as of late July 2018 that it still works.

So the short answer is, yes, you can still upgrade your Win7 or 8.1 machine to Win10, and the license validation will go through, no problem, no “Assistive technology” required.

7. recDNA

recDNA Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If You update to Windows 10 now can you still go back to Windows 8.1 if some drivers for my Zenbook are still unavailable in Windows 10? I think it was my trackpad and hdmi and vga out jacks that had no available drivers. Maybe the illuminated keyboard. too. Asus still lists them as unavailable but windows lists my model as upgradable.

hmscott likes this.
  8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Not sure if you are mixing the questions together, or if you are only asking about Windows 8.1...

If you install Windows 8.1, Windows update should find all the latest drivers, if not you can search for them on MSI's website for your model - and any other contemporary models shipped with similar hardware - even desktop motherboards that incorporate your hardware.

For Windows 10, same is true, but if there are no Windows 10 specific driver, you can try installing the last / latest Windows 8.1 driver, there is usually support for legacy drivers from the immediately previous Windows version.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    Papusan likes this.
  9. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Thanks for the head's up man, so watch out everyone - stay vigilant, there is still an active danger out there of upgrading to Windows 10, so be careful, and Just Say No!! to Windows 10 Upgrades!!
    show_001_nancy_regan_0309_lands_ren640_933141_ver1.0.jpg

10. recDNA

recDNA Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Let me explain mire clearly. I DID update my 8.1 Asus to Windows 10 when Windows 10 was first available. Many things didn't work properly and Asus told me tough toenails we don't support W10 so I rolled back. My computer works fine in 8.1

Now it has been 2 years. Asus still offers no support but maybe Windows 10 now has drivers for auto update? I would try windows 10 again but if again my trackpad, keyboard lights and other things dont work in 10 is the option to roll back to 8.1 still available? I heard it was not.

hmscott likes this.