Windows7/8 - Updates to hide to prevent Windows 10 Upgrade / Disable Telemetry

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Phoenix, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Riley Martin

Riley Martin Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I was just going to mention EFAIL. You summed it up well. Is anything sacred? Geezus, one thing after another. Oh yeah, and don't forget to reboot your Routers, as I'm sure most of you have read the FBI announced last week some pesky Ruskies have developed whatever its called, "VPNFilter router exploit"?. (no offense to Aleksander [sidenote: to whom I've donated for his UpdatePacks project, or his tech savvy countrymen for that matter).

To Mobile Artist's question, I was going to suggest using say, Outlook2007 (you can probably find a Key dirt cheap now that MS doesn't support it)... caveat being, IF you don't intend to use that AOL account anylonger. I'd set-up Office 2007 or use 2010 if you want security updates (when setting-up, make sure you go through all the settings, do not check "delete from server" for anything you want to keep, ofc. Then once your Outlook runs for a day or so (depending on connection)... you will "data file management" > "Compact" those .pst files down in your Archive, and Main Folder set-up (typically). Then disable Outlook from connecting (or you could check "work offline" permanently). You'd have all those files forever & ever :). *Plus, aside from Efail news, Thunderbird can be quirky with some email clients (I dunno about AOL). Oh yeah, and using SMTP & POP vs IMAP (you will prob have better luck not removing them from the server). Sorry if some of that was already covered. Peace.

hmscott likes this.
  2. Riley Martin

Reputations:
    Extraneous info: I just installed a Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 (they are sick, wow). To my question, I figured I'd run Windows Update after cloning existing (old SATA SSD) to new Nvme. Win7 Update populated a bunch of previously hidden updates. So I ran the last simplix update (and patch) from Mid-May. Then installed a cpl KB's that were legit through WinUpdate. [I've been meaning to ask this forever btw]. I took a screenshot, see attached. I'm concerned I am messing up my KB Updates location? (I'm too lazy/busy to read up on Temp KB locations, et.). So thanks in advance for any help & insight one may be able to offer!

Typically, I'll save the UpdatePack7R2 on a Flash (say P: ) So I'll run cmd prompt as admin, change system32 with P:, then type UpdatePack7r2(whatver file name) / Silent / Reboot . You know the drill, machine reboots, system file clean-up, all is well (seemingly).

Am I missing a step specifying KB locations? Again, check screenshot from recent installs. I installed some from Simplix (first), then some using Regular Windows Update. Much obliged to anyone for taking the time to read this. ;)

Attached Files:

hmscott likes this.
  3. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Any opinions of those 5 updates?

I haven't used Thunderbird much yet, but a trial run with AOL worked fine. Thunderbird seems simple, clear, and with a good UI.

Outlook apparently saves archives in its own proprietary file format. and I've read that people have had data disappear, requiring a MS repair tool.

Riley Martin likes this.
  4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That shouldn't matter as it's the Installers temp location, and Windows Update uses another for the final destination to track what's installed.

This Q is Answered similarly:

https://social.technet.microsoft.co...temporary-folder-location?forum=winserverwsus

Primes and Riley Martin like this.
  5. Riley Martin

Reputations:
    Primes and hmscott like this.
  6. Riley Martin

Reputations:
    New Simplix Update,
    https://blog.simplix.info/update7/
    My Russian is sub-par, non-existent. Can someone shed some insight as to why Simplix is nowadays doing update 'patches', where after running the .exe patch one is then given a more typical UpdatePack7R2.exe? Thanks!