Windows7/8 - Updates to hide to prevent Windows 10 Upgrade / Disable Telemetry

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Phoenix, Aug 23, 2015.

1. br0adband

br0adband Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The 2.35 BIOS/UEFI update for the ThinkPad W541 was from April 20 2018 so, well past the Meltdown/Spectre fiasco. After doing some more research it seems Intel is "in production" in terms of the microcode update for the Haswell 4th gen Mobile Core processors so, "they're working on it" basically and if they do push it out it'll be out whenever.

With the new findings from the first week of May about 12-15 more potential Spectre-like or related exploits now coming along it could be a long time before any machine is safe again, if they ever truly were. :(

2. Riley Martin

Riley Martin Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hmm, then you should be able to enable Spectre (and/or Meltdown) protection. You're right in the sense all these patches are works in progress. But in the meantime, use a Simplix Update Pack to install the latest unbundled, no telemetry win7 updates -then you'll at least enable some Spectre protection. (Enabling Meltdown protection will likely see your performance take a hit on that Haswell). If you have updated your OS, then maybe you have a 3rd party, AV registry issue going-on? 'Something is better than nothing', 'better safe(er) than sorry', et. :)

3. br0adband

br0adband Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I don't care that much about the performance hit, it's not like I'm on any kind of performance kick anymore, I stopped worrying about every last tweak that could possibly be done a decade or more ago after focusing on it so much.

Regardless, on Windows 7 I'm unable to get InSpectre to show green across the board, on Windows 10 RS5 (I'm part of the Windows Insider program) it shows green and good to go. As for AV issues, I use Microsoft Security Essentials along with a weekly on-demand scan using Eset NOD32 and their "online" scanner (local on the machine) and TrendMicro Housecall (also local on the machine), it's clean as a whistle with a fresh install of the simplix Update Pack from May 10th just a few days ago.

Intel and Microsoft are doing this crap on purpose to push people towards new processors, I'd stake my reputation on it - personal opinion there so take it as such, but considering just one or two of the things Microsoft has done over the past few years, I would not put it past them or Intel, not for one second.

Papusan, Riley Martin and hmscott like this.