Windows7/8 - Updates to hide to prevent Windows 10 Upgrade / Disable Telemetry

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Phoenix, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    So glad I don't use Windows Updates. I stopped allowing Micro$loth to automatically update screw up my computers about 5 years ago. No regrets... not even one time. Life is fantastic when I do not allow them to make any decisions for me.

2. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  3. Riley Martin

Riley Martin Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hey now. MS decided to re-populate a bunch of previously hidden updates. Looking at them (while cross-checking here and blog.simplix.info/update7/)... I noticed a couple that you maybe? want to include w/in the page #1 .bat file. Peace!

KB3172605
    KB971033

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  4. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You're a brave chap. I've always bought into the notion that if I don't update, Somali pirates will grab hold of my data, and Eastern Europeans will read my emails. Is this myth?

You haven't had any problems as a result?

What's your opinion of Specter and Meltdown.

Riley Martin, hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You can disable Win updates and use offline updates if you need.

Riley Martin and hmscott like this.
  6. Riley Martin

Reputations:
    As of now, are there any reported incidents of Specter and Meltdown being utilized -by Somali pirates or their like? I guess that's the problem, "who knows"? :(

At least you're paying attention. Most my friends/family are not.

uBlock Origin's Advanced settings is great for blocking 3rd party scripts/frames. Sandbox anything new, even remotely untrusted. I mean anything (Avast's newly acquired CCleaner, ironically had an update hi-jacked). *Telemetry Sidenote, if you use a newer vers. of CCleaner, check your Task Scheduler (they run an Update at Start-up, regardless of your settings).

Vasudev likes this.
  7. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    Yes. I'm currently in the cargo hold of a pirate ship (lots of humidity and sweat in here), negotiating the release of my laptop. I just added a pound of halvah to my offer, and he looks interested.

I bailed from NoScriot some months ago and immediately installed UBlock. What advanced settings would you enable?

Riley Martin likes this.
  8. Riley Martin

Reputations:
    Hah! :) Me too. Are you using FF Quantum? The new NoScripts UI via Quantum was bizarre, so I tried uBlock's Advanced Settings (it's now my fave Add-On, ever). Enable uBlock's Advanced Settings, and globally disable 3rd party scripts&frames (then tweak as necessary -you'll get familiar w/ right-clicking and Block Element fast).

"According to researchers, the most likely exploitation of Spectre would be web-based attacks using JavaScript (say in a malicious ad) to leak information, session keys, etc. cached in the browser. Thankfully, Mozilla has already issued Firefox version 57.0.4, which includes mitigations."
    https://blog.barkly.com/meltdown-and-spectre-mitigation

Vasudev, hmscott and MobileArtist like this.
  9. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    Words of wisdom, Riley Martin. Great clarification.

Yes I adopted Quantum as soon as it was offered.

I find the new boookmarking system less intuitive. It seems that software engineers often think they're impressing their bosses by makng all of it more sophisticated (and less coherent).

I'm heading for my UBlock settings now.

I still hope that Spybot pulls it off.

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    hmscott and Riley Martin like this.
  10. Riley Martin

Reputations:
    There's far better options than Spybot Beacon (Id think?). This link looks pretty decent... I'd try it, but I'm long removed from Win10. Also, Id think Steve Black or his like probably has an updated & extensive hosts file you could add to your existing hosts (but you'd likely have to keep abreast of updated block lists).
    https://github.com/adolfintel/Windows10-Privacy
    (*using an Offline Account is HUGE when first setting-up Win10. I can't believe how many people use a legit, personally accountable, Outlook account to set-up their win10 machines). Peace y'all.

Vasudev and hmscott like this.