Windows XP Sluggish on Latitude E4300

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows XP and Vista' started by hyelton, Jul 31, 2015.

1. hyelton

hyelton Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So Windows 7 runs just fine, but I'd like to really have an decent XP machine. But I cant help but feel its SO slow. From the touchpad not being as smooth loading times for small things take forever etc. Seems as its missing something like a driver but its not.

Its set to SATA so its not that. And all drivers are installed. But XP runs smoothly on a computer from 2006 compared to what it does on this Latitude. with a P9400 core 2 duo with 4GB of ram

Any suggestions? I've installed Windows XP several times still same results.

Heck even CPU usage stays low and its not a resorce hog

2. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    In my experience, it is always use the computer with the OS it was manufactured originally to run with. XP does not make proper use of RAM and dual core or more core CPUs like Windows 7 and above do.

3. hyelton

Reputations:
    In its time you could buy it to be shipped with XP.

4. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    oh in that case, can you tell me what drivers did you use? Were you able to get the official Windows XP drivers for everything?

Sometimes having the latest drivers is not the best practice and if you can find the official XP drivers from the laptop manufacturer that would be great.

5. hyelton

Reputations:
    Yeah got them all directly from Dell.com for the exact model. Only difference is I used the latest Intel GMA graphics driver from Intel.

6. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    I would try uninstalling that and using the old official driver, it's not like the new driver is going to give you any added performance.

7. hyelton

Reputations:
    Yeah but I'm sure the graphics driver wouldnt cause it to act like its running on a bad hard drive. I've used the old one before several months ago when I tried XP.

8. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Right, at this point, I can only advice you to upgrade to Windows 10. That's what I would do if I had your machine since it doesn't run like it is supposed to on XP

Starlight5 likes this.
  9. hyelton

Reputations:
    I'd just reload 7 on it lol. This laptop is NOT my main computer. Which my main build, I'm sticking with Windows 7 till support ends haha.

10. Primes

Primes Chrome OS Wizard

Reputations: