Windows XP ends of support

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows XP and Vista' started by sgelevators, Mar 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Idarzoid

Idarzoid Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There's a variation of Windows XP called Windows POSReady 2009 that's supported until 2019.

No doubt you'll run into some issues, especially on laptops, since it's designed for point of sale systems, but from the looks of things, it's XP without stuff like Movie Maker, etc.

Jobine likes this.
  2. Apollo13

Apollo13 100% 16:10 Screens

Reputations:
    I was actually able to install the Windows 7 Beta with a mere 4.78 GB of install space a few years back. That was fresh without bloatware commonly found on new PCs, though. And it's probably more than that with SP1. And like any Windows install, it will grow a lot as you use it and install software. I've got something like 18 GB of uninstall files in C:\Windows on my XP x64 install - that's probably going to be the same no matter what version of Windows you are using, and at that point it actually is bigger than even Vista x64's install size.

But I'm also sticking with XP until I see a convincing reason to leave it. It does seem to be true that memory use is much less - I rarely use more than 4 GB, even on x64, whereas my Windows 7 work laptop (albeit with a less clean install since I didn't do it myself) regularly needs more than the 8 GB it has. I was on the fence between 32-bit and 64-bit when I built my desktop in 2011, and while having the extra RAM is nice, I don't think it would have been the XPocalypse had I gone with 32-bit instead - at least as long as I didn't wind up with just 2.5 GB usable due to the GPU or something like that. On my laptop that has 3.5 GB with XP x86, RAM is rarely an issue.

Most likely, an increasing number of programs that I want to run no longer supporting XP is why I'll eventually switch. So far, I still have more than adequate support for everything I'm doing on XP, and while there are some interesting-looking games that require Vista or 7, there's also still a big backlog of ones that I want to play that support XP.

Of course, if there do end up being tons of major security issues, that may require a change in plans, but I don't think it will be as bad as XP-hating journalists make it sound.

I am glad that activation will still work, though - hadn't even thought about that. I've been considering upgrading my boot hard drives, but even if I dual-boot with Linux, I'll be keeping an XP installation around for all my Windows software.

XP Embedded is still supported, as is Server 2003. Server 2003 is my other backup plan, in addition to Linux. I actually ran it on my laptop for a short time six years ago or so, just for the sake of seeing how it ran.

3. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Wow that looks interesting.

I'd demo it in a VM with your XP-apps (since this looks like W7 with the XP GUI) before putting it on a real machine. Also note that this might not be necessarily availible for consumer purchase, so torrenting might be the only option.

4. Peon

Peon Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Instead of trying to make the already-stripped-down Windows POSReady 2009 work on a regular PC, why not go upstream and use Windows Embedded Standard 2009 - the OS that Windows POSReady 2009 is based on - instead?

Windows Embedded Standard 2009 has almost* everything that XP Pro has, including IE, WMP, and even the business/enterprise features like Remote Desktop hosting and the ability to join an Active Directory domain - and on top of that you can customize the installer however you want. It's like XP Pro with nLite built in. And of course, since it's part of the same embedded devices family of products as Windows POSReady 2009, it's also supported* until 2019.

* Given the context of this discussion, the one major feature that's missing is unfortunately also the one most people are probably looking for: none of the products in the embedded devices family of Windows products, which includes both Windows POSReady 2009 and Windows Embedded Standard 2009 have the normal IE + ActiveX-based Windows Update. Security patches need to be applied via either SCCM or WSUS. So unless if you happen to have a lot of IT infrastructure at home, the fact that these derivatives of Windows XP are still supported and Microsoft is still releasing security patches for them ultimately means nothing.

Jobine likes this.
  5. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Sir Pumpkin Longshanks

Reputations:
  6. Primes

Primes Chrome OS Wizard

Reputations:
  7. deadsmiley

deadsmiley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The IRS isn't paying for it. The American taxpayer is paying for it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

8. Tinderbox (UK)

Reputations:
  9. Tinderbox (UK)

Reputations:
  10. valeron

valeron Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm very sorry to hear that XP will soon dissapear, really it was a great product of Microsoft.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.