Windows XP ends of support

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows XP and Vista' started by sgelevators, Mar 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hirobo2

hirobo2 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would be surprised if XP had any undiscovered vulnerabilities left after more than 10 years worth of updates and security patches. On the bright side, Microsoft isn't going to suddenly stop updating MSE definitions for XP. And if they do, there are tonnes of other antiviruses out there... What I would love most is for future hardware manufacturers to continue writing drivers for XP, since it still commands 2nd largest user base. It would make me very happy as it will allow me to continue to use XP on future machines.

In order for me to switch from XP one of the following points has to happen:

1. A compact OS that installs no more than 6-8GB and runs .NET applications as fast as XP.
    2. A compact OS that installs no more than 6-8GB and runs .NET applications as fast as XP.
    3. A compact OS that installs no more than 6-8GB and runs .NET applications as fast as XP.
    4. A compact OS that installs no more than 6-8GB and runs .NET applications as fast as XP.
    5. A compact OS that installs no more than 6-8GB and runs .NET applications as fast as XP.
    6. A compact OS that installs no more than 6-8GB and runs .NET applications as fast as XP.
    7. A compact OS that installs no more than 6-8GB and runs .NET applications as fast as XP.
    8. A compact OS that installs no more than 6-8GB and runs .NET applications as fast as XP.
    9. A compact OS that installs no more than 6-8GB and runs .NET applications as fast as XP.
    10. A compact OS that installs no more than 6-8GB and runs .NET applications as fast as XP.
    11. A compact OS that installs no more than 6-8GB and runs .NET applications as fast as XP.
    12. A compact OS that installs no more than 6-8GB and runs .NET applications as fast as XP.

But don't get the wrong idea, I current triple boot XP/Win7/Win8 on one of my laptops. I log onto to Win7 and 8 once in a while just to remind myself I have legit licenses to those. (Not kidding, I usually log off without serious use of any apps back to XP)...

In short, the only thing that will pry XP out of my hands is a "modern XP" clone with support for newer hardware... XP already does what a modern OS is supposed to do, run apps, not act as a resource hog... With modern HTML5 browsers such as Opera for XP, this OS will still be in its prime for the next 10-15 years. Lastly, the funny part is, my most RAM-intensive app uses up no more than 3GB of memory, leaving 800MB for the OS, just right at or slightly below XP's RAM limit. So, no need for me to hop onto the 4GB+ usable OS bandwagon.

2. deadsmiley

deadsmiley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The only things that pushed me off XP were RAM limitations and niche software that required Win7. I still use it in one of my old servers in my home office.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

3. Ichinenjuu

Ichinenjuu Suffering from Affluenza

Reputations:
    I have XP Media Center Edition on an old functioning laptop I had as a kid. I'll use it until it becomes unusable, I guess. Mostly it's just for fun at this point.

Personally, I would just switch to 7. It's closest you're going to get to XP. 8 is not a good substitute.

deadsmiley likes this.
  4. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Sir Pumpkin Longshanks

Reputations:
    So is Windows XP abandon-ware now, can we install it for free, is it legal to sell XP now?

John.

5. Primes

Primes Chrome OS Wizard

Reputations:
  6. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Sir Pumpkin Longshanks

Reputations:
    I posted that link myself, see the previous page. :(

John.

7. hirobo2

hirobo2 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    OMG, how wrong you are. Win7 is just so bloated as to be useful on my Ivy Bridge laptop. WinXP all the way baby!

(Microsoft made a deadly mistake bloating up their OS to the point of taking over 12GB on a fresh install. If they had kept to the XP formula with Win7/8, they would have ruled the mobile hardware scene by now which requires both a minimal install footprint and exceedingly fast performance for low-end hardware. Hopefully, the new CEO is smart and returns Microsoft to the glory of the XP era with Win9. I would love nothing more than running Win9 on a tablet that can run custom, power-hungry apps as good as XP. Either Win9 will make this dream of mine come true, or in 10 years time tablet hardware will become so powerful, laptops and desktops won't be neeed anymore, even for power users)...

8. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Honestly, i've had Windows update disabled since 2010, and I've still yet to get a virus. Just keep using XP until the apps you need to run stop, IIRC Chrome and Firefox will still be supporting XP for the time being. At worse, switch to Linux with WINE for your .NET applications.

9. Primes

Primes Chrome OS Wizard

Reputations:
    oops, sorry. :(

10. Peon

Peon Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Windows XP isn't abandonware. While Microsoft is no longer delivering security updates after today, the activation servers are going to be up and running indefinitely:

Did I just hear this right? Microsoft activation servers will allow new XP installs after doomsday? | ZDNet

They might not care about your security anymore, but they clearly still care about piracy :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.