Windows XP Clean Install

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Arki, Nov 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryanj316

ryanj316 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just finished the clean install. Everything works. It took a while...but it was definitely worth it. Everything is a lot faster. putting the SWTOOLS folder on a CD and then scanning it did the trick for one unknown device I had at the end of the guide. Awesome stuff Arkit3kt! Thanks for all the effort you put into this.

2. Arki

Arki Super Moderator

Reputations:
    No problem at all. Glad it worked out for you. :D

3. cemotech

cemotech Newbie

Reputations:
    No I didn't. I just finished reading through all 54 pages of this thread and was going to try it as soon as my machine finishes restoring Vista.
    Another issue is that I didn't have an option to input my Xp key when I installed it. I this a possible corporate install cd?

Thanks

4. ikillau

ikillau Newbie

Reputations:
    i have a question Arkit3kt i have the same computer as you execpt with 1 GB of ram and i was wondering if doing this clean install will remove all the lenovo think pad software and have everything run by windows like the internet connections thing , and all the think vantage software

5. Arki

Arki Super Moderator

Reputations:
    By doing this you will have a fresh install of just XP. All the Lenovo programs you can install afterwards.

6. jdavis

jdavis Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Houston, I have landed!
    whew

I listened to EatBuckShot (with Arkit's positive support) and went back and gave nLite about 3 more tries. I think I used the wrong I386 folder based on criss crossing several "howto" webpages. If I recall, I think I also crisscrossed BIOS settings. I also built the nLite install on my Windows 2000 Comaq Presario (using an I386 folder off of the Lenovo) which didn't work either. I didn't get an "Activation Request" once I did it right and built it on the T61 I wanted to slim out.

What I did do right was implement the first 3 important drivers correctly:
    I highly recommend using this product (which was mentioned on this thread, thankyouverymuch):
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/siw.html
    Run it and save the results as html (you have to pay for txt version).

I was able to get the EXACT drivers for the SATA, Wireless, and Network.
    By looking through the html file that siw.exe generated I was able to find the exact names and drivers needed. Here is an example:
    I knew the name of the wireless card I had (it was on the purchase order). So I did a "Find on this page" for "wireless" and 2 of the items I found were right on. Notice to the right of "Service". That is the name of the driver. Go to your Search on Thinkpad and search for where this driver is for nLite compilation(or make sure you pick it from the Lenovo drivers download):

This was under devices:
    Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN Top
    Property Value
    Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
    Device ID PCI\VEN_8086DEV_4230SUBSYS_11108086REV_61\429E2C51B000E1
    Status 0x0180200a Started
    Problem 0x00000000 (0)
    Service NETw4x32 <<<<<<<<<careful! there is one with a "k" instead of an "x"

This was under drivers:
    NETw4x32 Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link Adapter Driver for Windows XP 32 Bit 11.1.1.11 Kernel Driver Running Demand Start C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\NETw4x32.sys Intel® Wireless WiFi Link Driver / Intel® Wireless WiFi Link Adapter (careful, there is another driver that almost looks exactly the same except instead of NETw4x32 it is NETw4k32 hint: k not x)

There really is only 1 BIOS setting for a T61 and it needs a little clarifaction. The setting is under ATA (SATA) and is either "AHCI" or "Compatible". If you can build the Matrix driver into the build using nLite, then use "AHCI" because the hardrive controller is installed first before XP. But. . . .if you are installing bareback, one item at a time, then set it to "Compatible" because XP will install before the driver.

Here is the Matrix driver for my computer and how I found it. I did a "find on this page" in the wic html page of my T61 info using the word "Matrix". Here is what I found:

iaStor Intel AHCI Controller 7.0.0.1020 Kernel Driver Running Boot Start C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\iaStor.sys Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver - ia32 / Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver

The first word is the driver. Go look for it on your T61 or computer in question. It's there. This is an important driver because it has to be added before XP if you are using BIOS setting "AHCI".

Then I searched for "controller" and found this:
    Intel(R) 82801HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Controller
    which was the samething when I looked at the motherboard specs on the same page. This is important for your specific Thinkpad. Here is what I found(notice what is next to the word "Service":
    Device ID PCI\VEN_8086DEV_2829SUBSYS_20A717AAREV_03\3B1BFB680FA
    Status 0x0180000a Started
    Problem 0x00000000 (0)
    Service iaStor <<<<<<<<<bingo!!! go search for this on your bloated Thinkpad or pick it when you download the drivers from Lenove/IBM/wherever. It will then aske for the controller name. (on mine, I looked for the HEM/HBM SATA).

wow, I'm starting to sound just as confusing as everyone else!!! It definitly is a learning curve that one has to live inside and suffer for awhile.

So you get the CD made, it has ability to see SATA, and connect to the internet and you install .net 2.0 first, then Systme Updates from lenovo and it puts all the current drivers more or less. Then you go back to the beginning of this thread and fix whatever didn't work by reading from the start. AND before that (this is what I did) I installed my Kerios firewall that is slim, trim, and install with the default "education" mode where it asks you to Permit Deny everything that wants to come and go.

It's because of this thread and you guys that I pulled this off. (putting Hari Kari knife back in closet, phew that was close).

So, now I have XP running on my new T61 and it is lightning fast (for now, until I put every piece of software I own on it)

Thanks Arkit and EatBuckShot!

Oh, and if you can't find Kerios, let me know. It such a small simple firewall (freeware) that works incredibly well.

7. stebesplace

stebesplace Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just finished a clean install of Vista Ultimate 64 on my R61 about two weeks ago. Got fed up with Vista for my needs, and now performed the clean install of XP Pro SP2. Took awhile with drivers (no issues, just took awhile), a million reboots, but man, after finishing that final defrag, this beast is FAST, especially compared to running Vista. Thanks!

8. Arki

Arki Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Looks to be more work than my guide. lol

I've personally never tried the alternative ways, I will some day though. It's good to know that it was just a matter of correct directions than software issues.

Enjoy your new ThinkPad! :D

I hope it was well worth it. :D

I know it was for me. Once you get it done once, the times after are a breeze. Glad to hear it worked for you.

9. jdavis

jdavis Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You have to remember that I didn't have any install CD at all, couldn't get one from any college either. Big difference. I wanted to go your route, I just couldn't. It's not over yet. Probably I will be hanging around here trying to get every single little thing working correctly.

Also, your guide didn't make it clear about why you change the bios setting from "AHCI" to "compatible". Or how to get the exact exact drivers. Most of my verbage up above was about how to use your information. I am very grateful to you, either way.

10. Arki

Arki Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The reason I listed the switch is because in AHCI mode when you insert the XP CD, it won't recognize the your HDD.

The only way for it to recognize it is to switch to Compatibility mode.

I'll make sure to add that into the Guide. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.