Windows XP Clean Install

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Arki, Nov 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krish_b

krish_b Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,
    After I followed those steps, it went back starting using Vista and then showed error. I am so puzzled, how come it is still seeing the Vista startup if I previously (before startup) have a good running XP. I never couild reach "The Welcome to the Found New Hardware Wizard appears" option.
    Please help

2. krish_b

krish_b Newbie

Reputations:
    May be this is happening because I did not delete the partition which carries the VISTA boot (A separate small partition, other than where I installed xp)

3. jfeldman

jfeldman Newbie

Reputations:
    Okay, I have a T61, and everything in this guide has worked perfectly, except for one thing: the chipset driver will not install. Every time I run it, it stops for an "unknown error." As a result, I think, my USB ports do not work. Any idea how I can fix this?

4. KevinTMC

KevinTMC Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have started a new thread, [THREAD=405403]"XP Clean Install for G530, N500 and similar"[/THREAD], offering supplemental information and advice about following Arki's clean install guide on Value Line machines...and also seeking help with quirks and questions, most importantly the weirdness I'm seeing with the monitor drivers and resolutions.

Here's the part that discusses that last bit:

5. z_24

z_24 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It worked beautifully with my 2 years old T60. Thanks so much for this excellent guide.

6. blokeman

blokeman Newbie

Reputations:
    I just finished the downgrade to XP using your guide, and I have to say, I would be nowhere without it. I made a few wrong turns but everything seems to be working okay except the problem with the UAA installation. I wondered if because the Lenovo information said that it was for Thinkpads, it didn't apply to the G530, but I tried to install the software anyway. I never found an extracted folder smaxwdm\win2k_xp, but I installed the (Conexant) audio and modem drivers with seemingly no problem. (they work) In the device mgr, there 3 unidentified entries: Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus and (2) Base System Device entries.

I was going to remove the software installed with the UAA (KB888111) but received all kinds of warnings of the things that would stop working if I did, so I left it alone. Anyone with similar experience or ideas what the unidentified devices are, and whether to pursue fixing or deleting them would be appreciated.

The defrag boot and JKdefrag are amazing! I've done it with 3 laptops and can hardly believe how fast they come up. Thanks for all the work you put into the guide.

7. ducati

ducati Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    nice write up man!

8. Sen5es

Sen5es Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Quick question, I have a T400 with Vista and a downgrade disc. If I use to T400 downgrade disc is that a clean install? If not, how can I get the serial key for XP?

9. pillBOXhat

pillBOXhat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a t61p. Everything went well except for my wireless adapter. I have a Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG adapter. I followed the appropriate steps to install but it isn't detecting any wireless network. It's telling me that no wireless networks are found but I'm 2 feet away from my router. I tried using windows update but it doesn't give me a driver for my adapter. I don't what else to do. Any advice is appreciated.

10. pkjansma

pkjansma Newbie

Reputations:
    After Step 11 on the normal html page it is blank where we are told what service to stop. WHAT two process are are to delete? I logged in to reply and found your link that is not pulling up anything it appears...or is my proxy blocking it. Can you insert the text of the two process I am looking for. Thanks

7. Now right-click on your taskbar.
    8. Select Task Manager.
    9. Switch over to the Processes tab.
    10. Sort the processes by Image Name by clicking on that column.
    11. Identify these two processes:

[​IMG]

NOW WAIT FOR THEM TO DISAPPEAR, IT MAY TAKE AWHILE BUT BE PATIENT.

12. Once they are gone, close Task Manager.
    13. Switch over to the original cmd.exe window.
    14. Type in "exit" (without quotes).
    15. Hit the Enter key and the window will close.
    16. Download JkDefrag. (no installation required to run the program)
    17. Restart into safe mode. (keep tapping F8 while it's booting; select safe mode)
    18. Double click on the "JkDefrag" application (not jkdefragcmd, etc.) and let it finish its process.
    19. Restart and rejoice!

[

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.