Windows XP Clean Install

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Arki, Nov 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shareme

shareme Newbie

Reputations:
    I have Lenovo thinkpad x61, and i have no problem using my burner so far. Mine is a LG slim and it just works as any other dvd writer. Could it be that you do not enough power? Anyhow, sorry for re-posting cause I want to ask a couple of questions regarding to the clean install:
    1. I want to know if Recovery&Rescue would still be there if i do the clean install. I want to be able to maintain that function without going into windows, is that possible?
    2. Is hard drive backing up utilities lie Acronis True Image/Norton Ghost help me back up the entire drive? thank you

2. Shadow_T60W

Shadow_T60W Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

I am from Austria, but I will try to write my best English.

@Arki
    My Notebokk is a T60W
    Does it also fits for your guide?

I want to use my hidden partition after the clean install.
    Which R&R Version I have to download?
    When should I install it?

If had only to install R&R and i will have access to den hidden partiton again?

I hop you can understand my "English" ^^

3. shyamkumar

shyamkumar Newbie

Reputations:
    The problem is not the booting sequence.. i want to create a set of recovery disks before i start clean install and i am not able to use any of teh DVD writing software in vista. as soon as i open any application it goes into not responding mode ....but it works well with win XP and i checked it using a vmware xp installation on my same pc..

4. xcompass@gmail.com

xcompass@gmail.com Newbie

Reputations:

Thanks for the reply.
    I could not find resume from standby option for wireless card. I'm using 11b/g wireless LAN mini pci express adapter III, which is atheros chipset.

Yes, I have PM installed.

The slow connection issue was solved by turn of the power saving options.

5. ghf

ghf Newbie

Reputations:
    Seems like we got two threads running here. Sorry, but I don't have the exact message because I have had to reinstall vista from the recovery disks. Anyway, I totally cleaned the hard drive using DBAN. I then attempted to intall XP. I got through the point were I accepted the license agreement. The system then responded with the message that I needed to install a valid Microsoft disk for XP, Windows 98, NT, etc.disk to install from the "upgrade" disk I had. However, it was not an upgrade. I am currently working with the reinstalled version of vista because of having to have access to the system. I will be reinitiating the downgrade effort in about two weeks.

However, I must note that performance is somewhat better following the reinstall. Prior to the cleaning of the hard drive and reinstalling the system, I only had about 20 gb or a 150 gb drive free. Following the cleaning and reinstall of all big programs (MS office, Adobe Flash, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Contribute, Illustrator, Version Control, and Bridge), I now have about 100 gb free. It seems that there is one heck of alot of junk and/or blink automatically installed with the initial instal.

GF

6. dug007

dug007 Newbie

Reputations:
    Any replies??? I'd be interested to know before taking the plunge if this guide, excellent write-up as it is, applies to the SL500 - or can be used with slight modifications.

Thanks.

7. Arki

Arki Super Moderator

Reputations:
    1. Yes, it is possible as long as you do not delete the hidden partition.

2. Yes.

You would have to download the most current version. I don't think it matters when you install it as long as you do not delete the hidden partition during the installation process.

You speak English very well. :)

It should be no different. You will find the appropriate drivers on that same link.

8. dug007

dug007 Newbie

Reputations:
    COOL! Thanks so much!

9. dany0w

dany0w Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm getting ready to downgrade my T61 - 6465 to XP using your excellent instructions. One question: the steps refer to a video driver and a monitor driver- which driver is the monitor driver?

I've downloaded these two from the lenovo site:
    - Display (NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M Quadro FX 570M) driver for Windows XP, 2000 - ThinkPad
    - Display driver (Intel GL960, GM965) for Windows XP, 2000 - ThinkPad

The first one I am assuming is the video and the second being the monitor. Is this correct?

thanks for your help!

10. Arki

Arki Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Forget the Monitor file; I don't recommend it anymore. It seems to mess up the color management for some programs, such as the Vista picture viewer. I know it's Vista and not XP, but the file is unecessary anyways. It's just an LCD profile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.