Windows XP Clean Install

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Arki, Nov 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xcompass@gmail.com

xcompass@gmail.com Newbie

Reputations:
    I found three problems after installed xp on my T400:

1. when you leave the computer as standby for a long time, it will not come to live again. I had to turn it off and restart it.
    2. when I resume from short time standby, the screen brightness is set to the highest level. I had to change it manually.
    3. when I resume from short time standby, the wireless connection is very slow. I had to disable and enable it to make it normal. (my card is the thinkpad one)

Anyone knows the solution? Thanks!

PS: all drivers are up-to-date.

2. Arki

Arki Super Moderator

Reputations:
    1. Go into device manager and go to your wireless adapter properties. Turn off all resume from standby. Your USB devices may have power management as well.

2. Do you have Power Manager installed?

3. Make sure your wireless adapter's power saving is off.

3. Epaminond

Epaminond Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for a guide. :)

What about Intel AMT Management Engine Interface and Local Manageability Service? Is it important to install them?

4. visch1

visch1 Newbie

Reputations:
    This looks like a great workable guide and I did it for the most part several times in the beginning of my XP days then I dreaded fresh installs. There are so many pages on the topic I couldn’t read all of them and suspect there is a recommendation of how NOT to go through this stressful process again: simply make a “C” image at various stages of installation and store them in a safe place. I keep “C” partition at around 20G so Images only take about 10-15 minutes to make and recover from, the rest of the drive is for storage of photos, MPS etc.

5. Arki

Arki Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I believe those are more for IT services and mass computer management.

6. tachyon

tachyon Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have created a Win XP Pro SP3 install cd with most post-SP3 updates integrated. To make this cd OEM compatible, I replaced 6 files from my Thinkpad T61 (C:\i386 folder), 4 files with oembios in the name, pidgin.dll, setupp.ini.

After this the cd would accept the OEM key (found from Thinkpad T61 using keyfinder software). Win XP installs just fine. But when I reach the welcome screen after booting up, it gives the erorr " A problem with your pc is preventing from checking activation".

To remedy this, I have tried copying over wpa.dll from the pre-installed OS (in order to preserve the activation) but it does not work.

Can someone confirm if this is the right way to install using custom Win XP install CD and OEM cd key ??

If so, can someone tell me where I am going wrong ? Why am I unable to activate or preserve the activation ?

Thanks a lot.

--
    tachyon

7. Epaminond

Epaminond Newbie

Reputations:
    Are there any localizations in russion availible for Power Manager, Active Protection System and Fingerprint Software? I've been looking for them for a long time.

8. ghf

ghf Newbie

Reputations:
    Without other troubles I've had... to the point.
    I have a Lenovo T61 running Windows Vista. It has been updated multiple time and checked by the MS site to verify itis valid (this is important because of messages I receive).

I purchased and used a XP Pro SP3 install CD as well as using afriend's XP Pro CD. These are both valid copies... not ripoffs. (My friend has also used his CD to install Windows on his machine - but that does not matter as I never get to the point of being asked for a key).

I insert the CDs, hit a key during boot, and go through the process of checking/installing drivers. When asked if I want to install XP, I hit ENTER. The system says it cannot detect a Windows operating system and asks that I insert a valid CD with one of the accepted versions on it and hit ENTER. Regardless of what CD I insert I get the message that the CD is unreadable or not a valid version of Windows. Any ideas????

9. shyamkumar

shyamkumar Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi

I have a new lenovo x61. But when i try to use my USB 2.0 multiburner teh system goes into not responding mode... i have vista business currently and i wanted to do a clean install ....

i tried the drive with xp on my other systems adn its working fine...
    do u have any solutions for this...i wanted to create recovery disks but when i connect the usb burner it detects and if u open roxio or other burning applications it goes into not responding mode....

shyam

10. Arki

Arki Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Can you post the exact message word for word? Perhaps I can use it to locate others who have had the same problem.

Did you prioritize your boot sequence to boot from USB?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.