Windows XP Clean Install

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Arki, Nov 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonyevans

tonyevans Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, OK so I am Dumb – I have just received my new Lenovo R61e and want to get rid of Vista and do a clean install hence I found my way here – I have made the recovery disks and saved the screens and SWTOOLS folder and am now trying to get the drivers I need.

I used the device manager but can not find anything that looks like anything on the list of drivers?????
    I decided to use the chipset ID utility – selected Vista as my OS and downloaded the newest file but when I tried to run it I get a message saying it does not work with Vista (I tried 3 times downloading and running with the same result)??????
    I then selected the older version – downloaded and ran it and get a message saying I do not have permission to run it and must be the admin (I am the only user)?????
    So I thought I would come back to that and move on to the next download and just get a message saying “There is a problem retrieving the document MIGR-62909” ?????
    Can someone please tell me what the hell I am doing wroung???????????

Tony Evans
    Australia

2. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    Yes it's needed and would lean on mandatory. My T60 would intermittently lockup and once I installed said drivers no issues whatsoever. Btw i'm running XP Pro.

3. uminh2

uminh2 Newbie

Reputations:
    How to do fresh install dual boot ( vista and xp ) on Lenovo SL500 ? and be able to run boot both on AHCI? thanks

4. uminh2

uminh2 Newbie

Reputations:
    How to do fresh dual install ( vista and xp) on Lenovo SL500? and be able to boot up from AHCI mode ?

5. petomane

petomane Newbie

Reputations:
    Before making my "Clean Install", I need to create a bootable WinXP Setup disk, using the 'Howtohaven guide', for the usual reasons -

No Windows XP disc provided, no recovery option because I removed the hidden partition long ago, and the Acronis TrueImage I made of my perfect system refuses to work, giving me the message:

"PCI: Device 00:1f.1 not available because of resource collisions"

So I need to be careful, and wonder if anyone can answer a query about the 'Howtohaven guide'.
    The last step in creating a Setup Disk from the I386 Directory/Folder states:

"Drag the "w2ksect.bin" file into C:\ (the root directory/folder of drive C). Don't get creative and place it in some other directory. If you do that, ImgBurn will not be able to find c:\w2ksect.bin later."

I'm doubtless wrong in my assumption, but I would have thought that it went into the "XPSETUP" folder with all of the other files, and I'd rather have confirmation before leaping in headfirst. I'm sure that plenty of you have actually DONE THE DEED, and I'd appreciate any comments.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lenovo 3000 N200 with Windows XP Pro

6. diandian23

diandian23 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks OP for the detailed description. I pretty much followed the guide, except I have a copy of XP with SP3. Therefore I can't install UAA drive (kb888111 hotfix). I think it's due to that SP3 already includes the drive. Now my T61p keeps finding a PCI device every time the XP is loaded. I can't find a driver for it, nor can I find any unknown device in "device manager".

The notebook runs just great, except this little window keeps bugging me...

7. awesomeh2o

awesomeh2o Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I had same problem with UAA. I installed sp3 before install the drivers. Now I have to reinstall XP with sp2 only.

But I forget to back up swtool this time. I lost Windvd. Anybody can help?

8. petomane

petomane Newbie

Reputations:
    To answer my own question, 3 posts ago, about the "w2ksect.bin" file - Yes it does have to go into the C:drive folder, and I've managed to burn a SetUp disk with it. Whether it works for me, or not, remains to be seen....

9. gsrthomas

gsrthomas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  10. Arki

Arki Super Moderator

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.