Windows x Apple

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by kart36, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmk2

dmk2 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There's a difference between build quality and ruggedness. MacBook Pros have excellent build quality, but they are not that rugged. You have to take a bit more care with a MBP than a business class laptop, but that's fine with me. I'd rather save the size and weight.

I've had a string of HP business class laptops for work, 6 machines over 10 years, the last 4 carrying the EliteBook name. They have good build quality for the most part, aside from loose rattling batteries. They are also very rugged. They will take way more abuse than a MBP, but you pay for it in size & weight. And the battery life is poor. My current 8470P with extended battery is fairly heavy and takes a lot of space in my bag. They used to have great keyboards and terrible trackpads, but with the latest design the trackpad has improved and the keyboard has gotten worse. I've also had lots of little problems with the EliteBooks, like hangs during boot, random freezes, problems sleeping, randomly waking from sleep in my bag, and colors suddenly going all psychedelic. The sleep issues are probably the SOE configuration, but the other issues are potentially hardware related.

I've only had one business class Thinkpad. It was extremely well built, rugged, dependable, and had lots of ports & expansion. But it also had a terrible trackpad and hopelessly dim screen.

I've fortunately never had a Dell, but the Latitudes became ubiquitous corporate machines mainly because they were the cheapest option. The build quality used to be bottom rung among business class machines. However, the latest "tri-metal" design is built to the same spec as the EliteBooks. It looks to be higher quality and much more durable than previous Latitudes, but people complain it's very heavy.

Among business class machines, I'd rather have another Thinkpad than an EliteBook or Latitude. But I don't really like any of them. Even for work, I'd still rather have a compact, lightweight "prosumer" machine.

2. Karamazovmm

Karamazovmm Overthinking? Always!

Reputations:
    and that was exactly my point

3. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    For the ThinkPad, you're suppose to use the TrackPoint, so I've never had an issue with them (hell, my X61t doesn't even have a touch pad). However, it looks like the next ThinkPads will have the sort of touchpads that consumer laptops have, and possibly neglect the TrackPoint (I really hope I'm not telling the truth here).

4. gerryf19

gerryf19 I am the walrus

Reputations:
    No kidding....I was installing a server one day and this other tech comes strolling in with a new switch under his arm and his Toughbook in the other and he tosses the Toughbook about 10 feet where it bounces off the wall and thunks down on a table. I almost had a stroke, but he flipped it open and it turned on like it had been laid on a pillow.

5. KCETech1

KCETech1 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    LOL, should see what my husband has done to some of his, including throw it across a parking lot, drive over it then drown it with water ( it was open the whole time and running ) just to prove a point that his new hire's MBA isn't that tough. for real fun I have seen a stack of 6 used as an axel stand for a 2 ton cube van while changing a wheel bearing on the side of the road.

FYI I guess for network support CF-19's are the best tool ever, if a switch or server is no good you can beat them to death with the laptop

and yes we have got quite a bit OT, but since it's civil and I'm participating we will let it slide

6. gerryf19

gerryf19 I am the walrus

Reputations:
    HAH! That is too funny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.