Windows x Apple

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by kart36, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karamazovmm

Karamazovmm Overthinking? Always!

Reputations:
    its a mixture of metal and plastic, the fit and finish of those machines are not that good, they are below what apple offers, sturdiness? way above. I prefer HP elitebooks to precision ones, not to mention that they are also better designed as well.

2. gerryf19

gerryf19 I am the walrus

Reputations:
    Never considered Dell Precision enterprise laptops...they are good for workstation work due to the GPU, but fit and finish is poor. Dells enterprise laptops are the Latitudes. As a multiplatform user, I fins the macbooks to be better built than your typical Inspiron and Pavillion laptops, but despite the aluminum body not so sturdy as they at first appear.

Give a typical road warrior a macbook and it will come back ion no time with dents and broken hinges.

3. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Seen too many of those dents/broken hinges on the MBPs my peers carry around campus (a *lot* of them) to know better than to call it durable with a straight face. It's also a Dell campus, so I see just about as many Latitudes and Precisions and I haven't seen any notable damage on those so far.

As for the Precisions (and Thinkpads), ABS plastic has certain desirable qualities, such as much better shock absorbance than pure metal laptops, and much better accidental scratch resistance.

Just my two cents. Take it as you like.

4. Karamazovmm

Reputations:
    yes mixed case materials on the right spots can give you better fit and finish and sturdiness, the problem is that the precisions and latitudes are always lacking on the fit and finish, and there is always some problem in their line up. The elitebooks are much better designed, there is really no comparison

5. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    The only Elitebook I've seen is the 8440p, so I can't comment on the whole lineup. But I agree, it does feel very nice and sturdy. Not allowed to play around with it though since it's a work laptop issues from a major financial company and I'm not getting into any legal mess lol.

6. KCETech1

KCETech1 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I have the 8570W, 8740W, 8760W and 8770W now and with only a few minor exceptions on the 8740W and a bit of a squeak on the 8570W now ( it got squished by a household water softener assembly ) they are close to the same or equal on fit and finish as the MBP lineup.

my m6700 is the same but I have heard that there can be some variation's now and then especially if you open it up a few times

7. Karamazovmm

Reputations:
    there are usually spaces where they arent supposed to be and so forth, the Q&A is higher than what dell sells for consumers, but its really still not up to the standars from HP

8. gerryf19

gerryf19 I am the walrus

Reputations:
    I've been generally pleased with the elitebooks I've dealt with, but if I am going business class notebook, I am going to lean toward the t-series from Lenovo. Short of a Panasonic Toughbook, I find the t-series to be the most reliable, sturdiest notebooks going. Even with the new keyboards, the Lenovos still have the best keyboard going and while not the prettiest thing in the world, they take a beating.

9. KCETech1

KCETech1 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    LOL, NOTHING is as durable and reliable as the CF series Toughbooks.

10. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Haven't noticed anything like that on mine, just that the tolerances for the fit could be slightly tighter, there are one or two places where parts could sit a little more flush by about 0.5 mm, but that's it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.