1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Windows tax refund for Acer notebook (Acer Aspire 1410/1810T)

Discussion in 'Acer' started by prikolchik, Oct 21, 2009.

1. prikolchik

prikolchik Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am glad this thread helped so many people get their Windows refund and I am glad Acer is getting better at handling the refund requests.

Just bought an Acer Aspire 3820TG-3022 with Windows 7 Home Premium from Staples. Apparently, it was pre-setup ("plug and play PC") by in-store technicians for "best customer experience". They have kindly accepted the license agreement for me and installed more crapware. Now that agreement has been accepted, I wonder if I can wipe out the drive and return the OS... I will post back when I have more updates.

Update (14/01/2011): Wiped HDD and restored from recovery CDs burned by Staples. Called Acer and within 5minutes (I am not kidding, it was that fast) I had all the instructions in my email box. They refused to pay for shipping.

Update (16/01/2011): Sent laptop to Acer via FedEx. Should be there on 19/01/2011. FedEx wanted me to pay $80 for air shipping, but I refused and paid ground $12 + insurance $12. Apparently, it will arrive there just as fast as if I sent it by air. Probably by the same delivery truck too.

2. Corbu'

Corbu' Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Just do a restore and don't accept the agreement when you boot it the first time.

3. ohiomoto

ohiomoto Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I sent my Gateway back to have Windows removed. They refused to provide me with a shipping label, but they did take wipe the computer clean. I'm patiently waiting for my refund check.

4. aydn

aydn Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Do you guys know if I can do this with my as1410 I bought in Novemer 2009 at Bestbuy Canada? It still has the recovery Vista premium partition though it has Windows 7 ultimate academic version as the primary OS.

Or can this be done on with HP DM1z to be ordered new from HP shopping directly?

5. prikolchik

Reputations:
    I am afraid that will not work. It has been more than one year since you purchased it!

I recall reading that HP does not issue refunds for Windows OS. It is their company policy. You might want to get a confirmation from HP before you order.
    The best way would probably be to order it online, then call customer service, tell them your order number and ask for Windows to be removed and refund issued. If they won't do it, well, you can always send the laptop back to them once you receive it!

On other note, I have updated front page with information about Windows refund on 3820TG.

6. DHR

DHR Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anybody know what Acer Canada will refund for Win7 Starter? I just bought an Aspire One 522-BZ623 netbook.

7. prikolchik

Reputations:
    They will refund any Windows as it is specifically states in EULA you can get a refund if you do not need the OS.