Windows sucks - alternatives?

Discussion in 'Linux Compatibility and Software' started by This is the name, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

Reputations:
    Can a Linux machine be used as a Miracast receiver for Windows 10 machine projecting a second display, like Windows Connect feature?

What Android emulators for Linux I should consider? Need something low-latency and smooth, without Google or other bloatware services shoved down my throat, for TouchOSC alone.

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Try this from Git https://github.com/albfan/miraclecast
    I didn't try it because at the moment I don't have a miracast compatible lappie with me. I will try it and get back to you if this works on non miracast devs.

Starlight5 likes this.
  3. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

Reputations:
    @Vasudev I googled Miraclecast for Miracast and Anbox for Android emulation right away, but I would prefer to learn about reputable members experience with that and similar software, before diving in myself.

The main reason I consider switching to Linux is that it allows higher than actual display resolution without any hardware tricks like HDMI dummy protruding out of the device annoyingly. But I need 3 things from Linux - already mentioned Miracast and Android emulation, and third - fingerprint login to device with full disk encryption without the need to use passwords. If one of these requirements is not met - then I have zero incentive to switch.

Vasudev likes this.
  4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah I haven't tried miracle cast and I'm clueless for biometric authentication and FDE based things on Linux. Usually, you can encrypt the whole disk whilst installing Linux/Ubuntu.

Starlight5 likes this.
  5. Commandor

Commandor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The newer windows is almost as good as Win 7 Pro with many added features! Should give it a trial.