Windows sucks - alternatives?

Discussion in 'Linux Compatibility and Software' started by This is the name, Jun 18, 2017.

1. theoak2

theoak2 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Here, here! UNCNDL1

I don't have a CF-53, but I have CF-31 MK 1 and MK 3. Both worked "out of the box" with LinuxMint 18.2. Had to install and use xinput_calibrator as sudo to get touchscreen working, but otherwise everything works "out of the box".

Vasudev likes this.
  2. UNCNDL1

UNCNDL1 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Another great Toughbook choice. I used Mint for years (LMDE) before finding MX-16 Linux.

Primes and chezzzz like this.
  3. theoak2

theoak2 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I feel myself being persuaded toward MX-16. So many good comments about it. What, in particular made you switch?

Is software selections as good as Mint?

4. UNCNDL1

UNCNDL1 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    MX-16: https://mxlinux.org/
    I've been addicted to older Toughbooks since 2010 and started using Linux since then. I like the portable usb aspect of persistence, which MX provides.
    They have excellent videos and support and for me it was the simplicity of the xfce desktop that I liked when using Mint. The debian version of MX is similar to LMDE 1 & 2 and allowed me to quickly use Linux to log into my company server that uses Citrix Receiver. The newest version of MX-16.1 works out of the box, and has a package manager the allows you to quickly configure the base system with many features:
    https://mxlinux.org/mx16videos
    The persistent usb they show you how to make is very useful and works quite well on the Panasonic Toughbooks, both old and new alike.