Windows pop up "help and support" very annoying - how to get rid of it please!

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by steviejones133, Apr 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    My OS was behaving itself normally until i updated to SP1 when it was released.

Now, its more or less all the time, but randomly , i get a pop up from windows titled "help and support" but i havent asked for any help and support lol!

Up till now, i have just been closing it but its really doing my head in now so any help on it would be great. I dont think my F1 button is stuck, it works fine with Fn & F1 to suspend.....and if it were stuck, I would get this annoying pop up all the time but its random for some odd reason.

TIA

2. shakennstirred

shakennstirred Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    doesnt this come up if in the past your pc has sent info on a problem back to MS and this is the reply, it can take ages(months even) for them to reply
    have you tried reading it , it may stop putting up then

3. steviejones133

Reputations:
    This isnt a "reply"...its the Windows "Help and Support" pop-up window that appears at random without me requesting it.

I know that you can hit F1 on its own and it will display the window that I keep getting pop up.

What I am trying to figure out is how to stop it from continually appearing without my request for any help from Windows!

4. JOSEA

JOSEA NONE

Reputations:
    Stevie, when it pops, if look at task manager do you see HelpPane.exe in Processes? IS the size 716 KB and Created, moddified dates : ‎Monday, ‎July ‎13, ‎2009, ‏‎8:29:53 PM
    IF answers are yes it is not malware.

This link has a few other suggestions
    Windows 7 "Help and Support" keeps popping up. - Microsoft Answers

If none of this helps, have U tried an external KB (I know U said it is not stuck) but I can't thnk of any other cause.
    ALSO are you still getting the IE9 Annoying popup - From IE9! from your previous thread?
    Hope this helps, Josea

5. steviejones133

Reputations:
    Havent checked task manager but i will do when it next pops up. Been up and running a few hours today and hasnt appeared so seems unlikely that my F1 key is stuck.
    And regards that other thread, I made the mistake there of thinking it was from IE9 but its actually windows....
    Dont think i could use my external keyboard AND disable the internal one....if i can try it, I would

6. steviejones133

Reputations:
    Yes, when I open task manager, I can see helppane.exe and size 716kb - created 14th not 13th for me but its there nonetheless.

7. JOSEA

JOSEA NONE

Reputations:
    ^^^ Do you normally login with admin rights?
    Have you tried logging in with a differnet userID/profile (admin or standard user).
    In the past I have seen buggy behavior that was profile specific.
    Hope this helps and Happy easter to all readers, josea

8. steviejones133

Reputations:
    Well, im the only user so I guess so....it hasnt happened for a few days now so I am ruling out a stuck F1 key as that has been in use to suspend my system regularly. I dont know whats causing it!