Windows MBP replacement - for video editing

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Xocomil, Jun 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xocomil

Xocomil Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm looking to replace my aging MBP 17". It struggles with editing, despite 16GB RAM and SSD upgrade. Tired of converting to Proxies.

I live in Guatemala (Central America), so need something reliable, and preferably a brand that has a presence outside of the US. My latest MBP has (generally) been really good. And when it needed a new motherboard they were able to repair in Guatemala City (with parts ordered from the US)

I was set on the new Dell XPS 15 9570, but I've been reading about some of the issues and don't want to get stuck with a lemon ... I thought about the XPS with 250gb SSD and 8 GB RAM, and then upgrading those parts myself.

Not sure about Lenova, etc

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    Preferably under $2000

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    CANADA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    I want a PC, but have had MBPs for past 10 years.
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Yes

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Video editing - mainly HD, occasional 4K

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Mainly on desk, but some international travel (work in the field, etc - I'm a video journalist)

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    No.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Minimum 5 hours.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Buying online OK

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows (I don't want the new MBP)

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)
    15.6"

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
    Matte

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Looks not important. Build quality is. I'm used to MBPs

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    ASAP - I'm visiting family in Canada and want to buy here before headed home to Central America

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    3+ years (but might replace after a few years). I've had my current MBP for nearly 5 years.

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    I can buy my own SSD - would like 500GB minimum

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    No.

2. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    What software are you editing videos with? What resolution? A workstation class machine might be sensible for your needs, and do better at video rendering during editing.

3. Xocomil

Xocomil Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am using DaVinci resolve to edit. Mainly editing 1080p50, but occasionally 4k.

4. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Not a bad idea to get a workstation class machine a la Dell Precision.

5. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Dell Precision 5530, HP ZBook Studio/ZBook 15", MSI GS65 or the Gigabyte Aero 15.

6. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    XPS 15 is a smokin fast device for video editing.

7. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes. it is, but it gets very hot (90C+) on the CPU and GPU when performing a long render, causing thermal throttling. Also, it's not a good idea to run a laptop at over 90C for long periods of time as this will shorten the lifespan of the device. Take a look at all the Fermi GPUs which are failing right now.

8. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah yeah yeah....throttling. Blah blah blah.

OP. Go on YouTube and watch the throttling XPS smoke the MBP in video conversions.

Kent T likes this.
  9. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    While the throttling XPS does smoke the MPB, the people who edit broadcast video for a living are using the Dell Precisions, Lenovo ThinkPad P series, and the HP ZBook line and getting their workflow out the door faster and more stable.

10. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Maybe so. There is nothing in reliable about the xps. If we mentioned asus yes, but I have never had a failure with any dell device I owned. Nor acer or Microsoft. I have had many failures with hp and asus branded notebooks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.