Windows Defender Firewall Question

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by Maggie12, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Maggie12

Maggie12 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was looking at all the Defender settings to make sure they were all done (I keep getting a notification from Defender when playing Destiny 2). I noticed in Control Panel, Security section that the Defender Firewall was turned on so I turned it off. Was that the right thing to do? I searched the forum and can't find a sample of the settings for that particular section and I don't want to leave my computer vulnerable. I currently have NOD32 installed.

Thanks

slimmolG likes this.
  2. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Windows Defender Firewall is just the old Windows built-in firewall that we've all known newly renamed to Windows Defender Firewall, Microsoft did this to make it sound like they have a full Security Suite built into the OS which technically it does, only there are far better choices out there than their heavy Windows Defender, see:
    AV Comparatives Performance Test October 2017. Keep it enabled. That is different than your actual Windows Defender which is the Antivirus.

On my system, I have Windows defender and all its startup entries disabled. I don't touch Windows Defender Firewall that's an extra layer of protection that should go hand in hand with your Antivirus except off-course if you have the Internet Security Suite which has its own firewall which I am not a fan of as they often contain more bloatware like system optimizers, registry cleaners, yada yada yada (not in the case of ESET Internet Security but I have no need for Family Protection and extra Banking Protection and Anti Theft features)

What I do is, after installing all my apps, I go to Control Panel > Windows Defender Firewall, and enable internet access to my installed apps for both private and public networks then the ones that aren't listed there, I click Add another app > then manually browse to the location and add it. Basically, I go through all the apps listed in Program Files and Program Files (x86) that aren't listed by default on the apps list and add them manually.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    Vasudev, Papusan, Umbra and 1 other person like this.
  3. Maggie12

Reputations:
    FABULOUS, I'll go make the changes now.

@Phoenix, as always, THANKS!!!!!!:D

Vasudev likes this.
  4. Maggie12

Reputations:
    I added Destiny 2 but to be honest, I don't know what a lot of those entries are and if they should have access through the firewall or not. There also appears to be duplicate entries. I read a bunch of articles on the Windows Firewall but it got real technical real fast so I have to dedicate some more time to research all of the entries listed and what they do and if they need to be authorized.

So much to learn, but I do like to educate myself as much as I can.....sigh :confused:

Vasudev likes this.
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I use this SW from Sphinxsoft for the past 3-4 yrs. http://www.sphinx-soft.com/download/Windows10FirewallControlFree-Setup.exe
    It includes a cleaning option to cleanup older and invalid apps which is very useful for me.