Windows-based notebooks with 1TB SSD

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by emacs72, Dec 23, 2019.

1. emacs72

emacs72 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'd like to purchase a Windows-based notebook pre-configured with 1TB SSD. Budget is not much of a concern at the moment. Does anyone know of (or have a link to) a webpage that lists notebooks from various manufactures that, optionally, come with a 1TB SSD?

Although I can just browse the Dell / HP / Lenovo / MSI sites, I was wondering if there's already a consolidated list. Thanks!

EDIT (Dec 23): I currently know that some of the Inspiron 15 and XPS 15 notebooks from Dell can be configured thusly

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    When you factor in the various types of notebooks available, from thin-and-lights to workstations to gaming, that list is potentially hundreds of entries long. You're far better off starting from a position of what you're looking for the machine to do for you, then narrowing it down based on storage.

3. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You can go on Newegg and use the advanced search to narrow down notebooks with a 1TB SSD. Here are all the notebooks they have like that ...
    https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100006740 600423304

All over the map, indeed. You should probably fill out our FAQ so we can recommend something with a little more context.

Charles

4. mystery905

mystery905 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It is usually more cost effective to buy with smallest storage option available, and buy the expanded SSD afterwards. Clone or back up original SSD, then install replacement and do a restore.

5. emacs72

Reputations:
    Thanks to everyone for their commentary. Much appreciated!

6. emacs72

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    2000 Canadian dollars

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    Canada

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: all
    b. Dislike: none

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Web browsing
    Document writing
    Email reading and writing
    Audio listening
    Photo editing
    Video watching, (re)encoding, and editing

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    On my desk most of time, never outside of home however.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    Very unlikely because I prefer the experience on game consoles

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    3+ hours although I'll be next to an electrical outlet most of the time

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Online purchase is fine; I don't need to see or touch it

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows would be nice; however, I'm open to and comfortable with other OSes as well.

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    At least 1080p

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Matte / non-glossy

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Let me answer this question like so: Although I consider any and all 'gamer' notebooks ugly as sin I'll be happy (but mostly surprised) to be proven wrong.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    At least 1 TB

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    In 2020 if the device fits most of my criteria.

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    5+ years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    Several months, seriously.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    No

7. Charles P. Jefferies

Reputations:
    What kind of video are we talking about ...1080p? For home or professional use? That's the only item in your requirements that, potentially, not every PC can do well.

Charles

JRE84 likes this.
  8. emacs72

Reputations:
    At most, 1080p for home / recreational use. It's a rare event, admittedly, fewer than a dozen times per year.

Incidentally, my ask for the storage amount (at least 1 TB) and medium (SSD) stems from a personal want to move away, finally, from spinning platters ;)

9. Charles P. Jefferies

Reputations:
    You'd be fine with an Intel U-series chip (15-watt) for 1080p. That greatly opens up your choices.

I'd look at a Lenovo ThinkPad T or E series, a Dell Latitude 5500, or an HP EliteBook 850. Those are all good-quality computers that will stand a good chance of lasting your 5+ years requirement. They also have good keyboards and a general focus on usability.
    It would be most economical to buy one with minimal RAM (say, 8GB) and storage, then upgrade later. This is especially true when it comes to storage, manufacturers tend to charge an arm and a leg for 1TB SSDs. Aftermarket, I've seen them go for under $100 US.

Charles

emacs72 likes this.
  10. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I'd agree with Charles if you upgrade from the SSD via the manufacturer you're pretty much going to get gouged. Most 15" notebooks will still offer you access to the drive(s) and memory. You'll most likely have to pull off the bottom cover, which is attached with screws and clips to make upgrades. It's a little more challenging that it used to be, but definitely doable. Keep in mind you're going to have to re-install the OS if you replace the drive. Most manufacturers will allow to make a recovery USB stick or set of discs, if you've an optical drive, to put back the OS. Make sure you do this before swapping things out.

I believe the HP and the XPS have better screens, That might sway someone watching video and doing Photoshop.

emacs72 likes this.