Windows 8: The Thread

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Jayayess1190, Jun 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gintoki

Gintoki Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I am also using it as my main OS. Using Windows 7 feels less exciting and the GUI feels too flat now that I've used Windows 8.

2. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    No issue here with having two heads, it is the two independent vocal chords.......... :(

3. Vogelbung

Vogelbung I R Judgemental

Reputations:
    No, taking that supermodel analogy, W8 is more like Tina Fey wearing a freshly skinned Kate Upton which keeps falling off, going up against Naomi Campbell.

4. capt jerk sparrow

capt jerk sparrow Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    What reason would you have to upgrade other than the tablet interface thing? Windows 7 seems solid enough.

5. SDreamer

SDreamer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Never even knew Youtube had ads. Been using IE, had a few trials of Firefox here and there to see how it compares, but always went to IE. My method of ad blocking is using a host file; universal ad/malware blocker.

6. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    For multicore (4 or more core) CPU's not using NUMA there is a 10% performance increase over the stock Windows 7 thread Scheduler. This is for apps not already programatically setting affinity. I hope I am wrong but I think all of the possible enhancements that can be made have been. With the new scheduler the CQD's run on a single thread clock for clock with a C2D, where before there was a perfomance hit of that 10% or more. Also it will alow you to have the same OS on multiple devices, assuming it is ported.

Although you may not care today, metro apps may be something you want in the future. Remember this is only a Customer Preview. There really are no powerful outside apps yet but they may follow.

Like it or not, eventually all new machines may have it. This means no more new machines with Windows 7 and it will be forced down our throats. So if you care about loosing some functionality let yourself be heard by M$ now! Otherwise start lining up the OS you will want to switch over too.

As far as I can see there is nothing detrimental that would make me specifically stay away from Windows 8. Again this is just a customer preview and they have already pulled the start button. Further plans that may be in the works could easily change my mind. Look at the ruckus just that one change made, and seems to continue to make................

7. Joel

Joel coffeecoffeecoffeecoffee

Reputations:
    I installed it again on my laptop, this time with a working screen, instead of being stuck to an external monitor, I like it much much more... Using it as my main OS too. It's just growing on me now. :)

8. Jayayess1190

Jayayess1190 Waiting on Intel Cannonlake

Reputations:
    Microsoft reportedly completing Windows 8 development this summer, will launch in October | The Verge

9. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Much faster booting, plus the ability to reinstall Windows files without upsetting all the documents you have on the drive. I'm sure there are others, but those spring to mind immediately.

10. pcgamer34

pcgamer34 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Windows 8 sucks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.