Windows 8: The Thread

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Jayayess1190, Jun 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davepermen

davepermen Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    as i'm typically working fullscreen with 10ns of apps since years. don't tell me it's not possible. and yes, so far, metro switchering of apps works very fast and thus is very usable for doing "real work". there just aren't the apps there yet.

so no, mostly, it works, but you have a hard time to understand that. others will, and they will use this like you use your setup right now: fluently, natively, and fast.

move on or don't. guess who will matter in the future? the one who could move on, or the one who was ranting around how much better it all was before.

but what ever. we'll hear now a lot of ranting how stupid it all is, and in about a year or two, everyone can not understand how one could do it the old way.

like. every. single. time. before.

and you know it, because you went trough that every single time before, too.

2. Pirx

Pirx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You are not addressing my points. Fine, suit yourself, but there's really no point in continuing this discussion then.

3. Baserk

Baserk Notebook user

Reputations:
    Of course it is, from a security pov, just combine it with FUS/Fast User Switching if you mind logging off/logging on into admin and vice-versa.
    Just read the last 4 paragraphs from this Mark Russinovich article, on why running as a LUA or actually SUA; standard user account since the introduction of UAC in Vista, does have benefits from a security pov.
    It's a (mild, imo) trade off between convenience and security of course, you decide what to choose. Perhaps convenience wins in your case.

4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Once I start to populate Metro with my own applications, and group them into categories based on how I use them, instead of just looking at the preloaded apps and tablet-like apps, Metro starts to make more sense. It's just like the Start menu, only more graphical and less tiny print.

5. jnjroach

jnjroach Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I launch most programs the exact way I've done since Vista, hit the Windows Key and start typing the application name and hit enter :)

I have some classic Apps (Outlook 2010 and Lync 2010) pinned to the taskbar.

6. TheAtreidesHawk

TheAtreidesHawk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    But the taskbar needs to be in the metro side of the OS as well. And having to move my mouse all opposite ends of the screen to access different things is just annoying. The left is for switching between windows/apps right? The one to the right brings up the "charms bar" which gives you those 4 options.

I dunno its gonna take some time to really get even a sense of familiarity with Windows 8 and I'm afraid that I won't even get comfortable with it in a decent amount of time.

7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Any way to bypass dragging the entire screen up to start up Windows 8? I've found settings for the three actions AFTER the drag (password, pin, or picture), but the drag itself just doesn't make sense for computers. It does for touch devices but not computers.

Am I missing the setting to address this?

8. TheAtreidesHawk

TheAtreidesHawk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If I'm understanding you correctly are you talking about the main screen before you login?

If so you hit Enter it will take you to the login screen right away.

Hope that helps.

9. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. +1 rep.

10. SemiExpert

SemiExpert Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.