Windows 8: The Thread

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Jayayess1190, Jun 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SL2

SL2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I can really recommend installing it on a VHD for those who aren't familiar with it, much easier than it looks.
    In total there's less work than using VirtualBox or a separate partition.

The best thing would be if this procedure was automated and an option in the custom install.
    Given that this version isn't made to last, I wonder why MS didn't add that feature.

- Only 2 lines of commands.
    - No extra software needed like VirtualBox or VMWare.
    - You get dual booting, you're not running inside your existing OS.
    - You don't have to make a separate partition for W8, it's all in a file.
    - Extremely easy to remove.

Tip: If you can't find your VHD loaction when choosing partition during install, use the DiskPart command LIST VOLUMES.

Guide to Installing and Booting Windows 8 Developer Preview off a VHD (Virtual Hard Disk) - Scott Hanselman

Pin to taskbar, as usual? Leave a shortcut on the desktop? Use key combination?

2. JOSEA

JOSEA NONE

Reputations:
    This is Consumer Preview - do not use it as your primary OS - If you want to check it out follow Mats advise or use a Virtual Machine. I had a very hard time getting it to run (Installation Error: 0XC0000001) , finally gave up and went with 32 bit version that took 20 minutes to install including reinstall of Virtual Box. DO an custom install if you have to have it.
    This http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-Menu-Hidden-in-Start-Button-in-Windows-8-256141.shtml helped me navigate

3. coolguy

coolguy Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    No, release candidate will be the last release before the RTM. Windows 8 didn't even reach the beta stage yet.

4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    N00b question time!

After multiple attempts, I finally got it up and running with VMware Player (VirtualBox never worked for me). Problem is, I can't figure out how to connect to the internet, either with wifi or with plugging the cable into the side of my computer, 2002-style. Keeps telling me no network driver is detected. And when I try to stick in the Vaio Care restore disks to install drivers, VMware pulls me out of Windows 8 and back to my Windows 7 desktop to ask me if I want to install drivers THERE. Which, of course, I don't.

This is obviously something that everyone else here got by easily, but I'm missing the solution.

5. SL2

SL2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You don't need Sony drivers in VMWare, you need VMWare drivers.

1. Power on the virtual machine.

2. When the guest operating system starts, select VM > Install VMware Tools.

You also need to have the Network settings in VMWARE set up correctly, but they're probably ok if you haven't messed around with them.

6. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Thanks! +1 rep for the quick response. But it's telling me that "VMWare Tools unavailable" in that menu; the option is greyed out.

I had set the OS to "other" when creating the virtual machine, because "windows 8" was not one of the options in the "windows" category, and "Windows 7" resulted in an unsuccessful install of Win 8. Should I have designated the OS differently when creating the virtual machine? If so, what besides "other" should I have chosen in the absence of a Windows 8 option?

Edit: I found the idiot-proof guide to installing Win 8 with VMware Player, and I had screwed the settings up:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2899-vmware-player-install-windows-8-consumer-preview.html

Edit 2: dang it, now when I do the "Windows 7" install instead of the "other" install, it won't accept the Windows 8 product key...grrr.

Edit 3: never mind, it was trying to update VMware tools WHILE inputting the product key, and that was screwing up the product key. Stopped VMware Tools from installing at that point and the product key went in just fine.

7. davepermen

davepermen Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    get used to the fact that there is no desktop mode, but desktop is just another metro app. then, it starts to make much more sense.

just use the metro ui to launch your apps, always. winkey + appname + enter = launching an app, just like before.

8. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Typing this in IE10 in Win8! Whoooo!

9. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Can I just say that while Windows 8 Mail is a great leap forward compared to other mobile mail apps I've used, it just can't compare to Windows Live Mail. I hope there's a more detailed mail program that I'm somehow missing.

10. JOSEA

JOSEA NONE

Reputations:
    Typical the initial user is setup as admin...
    Anyway does anyone know how to turn off the user password in the Preview Edition for said user?
    Nevemind, I created a new user sans password.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.