Windows 8: The Thread

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Jayayess1190, Jun 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlazeGaj

BlazeGaj Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I found the power thing(after a while) by going to charms>settings>power

What?

Windows supports Bios and UEFI so you can install it to any intel/ati PC. You can also turn off secureboot given Microsoft specification requires PC to have an on/off switch.

The only one that is closed is the ARM only version which makes sense given the nature of ARM and that it won't even be released to consumers.

2. Cheeseman

Cheeseman Eats alot of Cheese

Reputations:
    I'm not happy that Microsoft is insisting in not including a Taskbar that shows the essential information that any user should always have visual assess to (Time, Battery, tasks, etc). Even Android tablets have a Taskbar at all times. Anyhow, I Photoshoped how I think Windows 8 should look like:
    [​IMG]

3. ValkerieFire

ValkerieFire God Follower

Reputations:
    I kinda agree Cheeseman. I installed the preview, and am not too impressed so far. It is either a Tablet or a straight Windows 7 experience. I was hoping for a cross between the two. As it is, the tablet interface makes many windows functions inaccessible, but going to the desktop seems like it defeats the whole purpose of the OS at all.

4. SL2

SL2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Agreed.
    Either that, or (in yout pic) a fourth row of that are sticky apps: these apps stay in the same spot in the pic when you move left-right.
    And if you zoom out, they stay in the same place and size.

Now I realize it probably won't work, the edges are for gesturing, and having sticky apps at the bottom would stop you from shutting down apps..
    Mm, yeah, that's why there's so much space along the edges.

5. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Metro UI is tablet friendly only. If they insist on regular PC's use it, someone's been smoking too much of the funny stuff. It should be an option, not a replacement. Sorry, but it's just not PC friendly.

6. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Here's my thoughts from another forum:

I've been using it for about 2 hours so far and I'm loving it. I particularly enjoy being able to have messenger snapped to the left in a mini window with word or whatever running on the right:

[​IMG]

*click to make larger*

I also like the live tiles, seeing things at a glance like weather and such is awesome and the visual "pop" the full screen apps/lock screen have is a nice touch. I've linked up my google and facebook accounts so seeing the tiles update, being able to have 1 click access to my contacts, and being able to do email+ calendar through a nicer looking app than Outlook (which I still adore despite) is a treat.

Metro IE works well, I haven't missed no flash: I don't even have it on my phone anymore and when I did it was set to display "on-demand"....flash slows things down I find. I do know that other people need flash though so perhaps an option like on the Android browser would be nice.

Setup went well upgrading direct from Windows 7, although the metro version of IE10 was disabled until I set IE as the default browser. The setup process is also improved, and I particularly liked the even more refined "conversational tone" of the dialog boxes and UI both during the setup process and in Windows 8. It's casual yet professional and non patrionizing.

Some things could be better though: The messenger app isn't nearly as powerful feature wise as WLM on the desktop, I had to try signing in with gmail again, and at first boot my mouse cursor wasn't showing up on screen (but the mouse still worked on icons and such) but a quick cursor switch fixed that.

I've downloaded a few of the early apps from the Windows Store and they're pretty good. It's nice to see some "name brand" apps like WordPress and AccuWeather there, it holds promise that the store will have high quality stuff. I've had no issues switching between applications using both interfaces: the app switcher on the left and the charms bar on the right quickly became second nature for me....and when all else failed I knew I could hit Windows Key to jump to the Start screen.

Overall it's proving to be a decent experience so far, I do wish I had a tablet to try it out on, I feel like it'll really shine there. I think that when more Metro apps hit the Store and people find they can get away with not using the desktop view more then it'll become even more compelling.

I'm finding this ballsy approach by Microsoft to be much preferred over the play it safe model they followed for years. Vista was supposed to be the ballsy push to the future but when Longhorn was hastily rewritten in the middle of its development cycle, they ended up with a product that looked and worked very much like its predecessors. Whether you love it or hate it, they deserve kudos for at least trying something different for once.

EDIT: Spell check throughout the OS....awesome.
    EDIT: The Metro version of the IE 10 browser also isn't particularly fond of the Reply box on FG, at least at my current settings (WYSIWYG Mode) but a quick toolbar click of the box to disable that mode fixes that.

You'll always be able to get to start by hitting the Windows Logo key on the keyboard from anywhere in Windows 8.

7. ITF

ITF Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Long time NBR user, never used this particular forum group though.

Can I jump in to ask, what is the consensus on Win8 currently as a viable singular OS on a PC? I have a new desktop on order which I planned to put Windows 7 on, but with the seemingly full release of Win8 I wonder if I can just go with that?

8. TheAtreidesHawk

TheAtreidesHawk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've got it fully installed and activated on an 3-4 year old HP dv5t.....

First thoughts....very frustrating. Its just typical Microsoft. Good things mixed in with bad and just enough bad to make the entire product very disappointing.

It feels like going between 2 different worlds (Metro vs regular desktop). And like others I miss the taskbar.

And how are you guys starting a new program once you're already IN the desktop mode?

9. ITF

ITF Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My question is not so much about the nuances of Win8 and whether you like them or not, but actually curious if the operating system itself is sustainable as the sole OS on a PC?

10. redmimic

redmimic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Been playing with it in VirtualBox for a bit. Is there anyway to get better display options while in virtualization? I'm new to this.

I am stuck at a lower-res (native 1920x1080) and I don't seem to be able to drag and snap metro Apps next to each other like in the videos. Figured that's a videocard thing.

It's kinda fun, I see what people are talking about with the disconnect. Once I found more keyboard shortcuts it didn't seem so bad. For Mail, Messaging, and regular browsing it works quite well and I stay within Metro.

It wouldn't be as jarring of a switch between environments if they changed the appearance of the Desktop to be more in line with Metro. Keep the functions, lose Aero maybe?

I am hoping they let you customize each tile's colours. Would be fun for me to have different tints. I imagine someone will figure out how to hack that if they don't include it for the final release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.