Windows 8: The Thread

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Jayayess1190, Jun 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Fantastic, I'll watch that thread for a few days or a week and then give it a shot myself. Thanks! I'd give rep but apparently I need to "spread it around more" first.

2. Syberia

Syberia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Is there any way to get Win 8 to permanently display a battery icon somewhere on the screen? It seems to appear in certain places, and disappear completely when I'm in an app or on the start screen. Completely useless for laptop use.

The lack of flash in the metro browser is very frustrating. I love its look and ease-of-use with the touchscreen, but that's a dealbreaker. Certain sites I visit require it to function.

3. manny951

manny951 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    one question when i was testing windows 8 the screen logo wouldnt fill all the main screen is it still doing that??

4. n0elia

n0elia Come on Haswell...

Reputations:
    See my post in the previous page.

This seems to be a common a problem. There are reports on other forums too :/

If you uninstall Microsoft AC Adapter from Device Manager and restart it detects the battery, but then you restart again, the battery icon disappears. So annoying!

I'm thinking about going back to Win7.

Plan was to use this as my main OS, because the pre-RC builds of Windows 7 were very stable, unfortunately this Win 8 CP is buggy.

If you find a solution please let me know

5. thomaskc.dk

thomaskc.dk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    does anyone else have massive problems installing nvidia drivers? anyone ever gotten a hybrid driver installed?

6. Syberia

Syberia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The thing is, it reads the battery properly and displays the icon on the lock screen and on the desktop. It does not display the icon doing anything in Metro-mode. Given that it's a tablet, though, that's where I'll be spending most of my time. I hope this is a bug or a setting I can enable, and not some bone-headed UI decision.

7. Mr. Wonderful

Mr. Wonderful Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Right? Maybe this will force Apple to majorly update their code. Luckily, we now have Spotify as a great iTunes alternative (for the masses, at least).

Anyway, does this build support installation to an external hard drive? I thought this was supposed to be a feature of 8, but I can't seem to get it to work. Using FireWire 800, BTW.

8. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Isn't it confirmed that iTunes won't be supporting Windows 8?

9. 1994F7PT

1994F7PT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    been playing most of today and starting to get into it

initial reaction was they've just moved stuff about for no reason and I still haven't found a simple way to shutdown

main thoughts for now is multitasking is good, seems to run smooth, but its not as easy to keep track of whats going on as the new interface sort of splits it into 2 o/s's almost, the 'normal' desktop and the new tiley bit (not really learnt official name!lol!)

either way though it feels like a bit of progress perhaps from 7 and i'm quite enjoying it :)

10. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    "...and I still haven't found a simple way to shutdown"

Well here's a simple way: Set the power option for 'what happens when you press the power button' to: Shutdown :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.