Windows 8: The Thread

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Jayayess1190, Jun 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davepermen

davepermen Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  2. davepermen

Reputations:
    it does not matter NOW, as now is the win8 presentation.

no, there's no stupid shadow that you imagine.

and security is only by a small part the os' part. most happens in user space, in the app space, and even online. there, the os is not the one saving you anyways.

but as windows is by now written and compiled with special tools that prevent stuff like buffer overflow and integer overflow attacks, while linux is still in it's fancy c compiler world where the developer has to be perfect (as humans never are) to make the os secure, i don't bother about linux being _more_ secure at all anymore. because it just isn't. they're all on the same level.

but people like you have a huge issue with understanding that people can learn from their errors, and improve over time. as microsoft massively did, starting with windows xp's sp2.

3. davepermen

Reputations:
  4. TheAtreidesHawk

TheAtreidesHawk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Downloading the ISO as I type this...I left my USB drive at home though....is there a way to install the CP without having a USB drive or DVD on hand?

Very skeptical about this "charms bar" that they are replacing the start button with but I'm willing to try it out. I'm just worried for regular non tech users like my parents who will flip out the moment they don't see it or have difficulty reaching their documents folder....

5. davepermen

Reputations:
    the start button makes no sence once you're more in metro land. as there can't be a startbutton, it would be IN the app. now the desktop behaves really just like any other metro app. which makes, in the end, much more sense thanks to consistency.

i guess you can unzip the iso (with winrar or similar) and start the setup from there to a fresh partition.

6. TheAtreidesHawk

Reputations:
    And what of those who don't want to use Metro? You can't just assume everyone is going to fall in love with this new look of MS and use it 100% of the time. I frankly don't care too much for it but I'm gonna try it out. And I would rather they had kept the start button. But thats just my opinion.

Thanks for the iso tip. I'll look into it.

7. davepermen

Reputations:
    more and more will move over to metro, so there's no "i don't want metro" in the future of windows. just embrace it from the start instead of not.

well, look at it like that: there's a NEW functionality replacing the old start button, one tailored to allow more of the screen to be used for your content and apps. one that works in fullscreen, too. that's an improvement. a change, yes, but an improvement.

don't look at it as "i've lost my start button", but as "i've got now more directly accessible os features without leaving my app" thanks to the hot spots.

8. TheAtreidesHawk

Reputations:
    Lol you seem very ingrained in the MS philosophy of forcing change that people might not want. IF MS releases Windows 8 and the majority of people hate metro then are you gonna blame it on the consumer for not "getting" MS vision? When perhaps it could simply be that metro sucks and people don't like it?

The only way your argument could possibly make sense is because the vast majority of the world uses Windows as opposed OSX so they won't have any choice but to use Windows. However as word spreads about W8 (especially if its negative) more and more people will stick with Windows 7.

9. TheAtreidesHawk

Reputations:
    Okay I got the Product Key from MS website....but its not giving me an option to choose a partition on which to install it on...

How do I get that to happen? Must I first create the partition? I want to dual boot it on my laptop. But instead its saying it will erase everything....

10. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    TheAtreidesHawk if you would done the DL "correctly", instead of DL only iso, you would get a product key.

Try this one:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.